Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a chihuahua, and she is wee wee pad trained. She always does her business on her pad, and we usually have no mistakes. But when the mistakes do happen, they happen in the same exact place every single time. I'm starting to think this is a way for her to get attention from us. Why else would she do it? Anybody care to shed some light?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
dogs dont mess for attention, they do it because they are not taken outside to go enough, are not completely house trained, or they are really stressed.
We don't take ours for walks to go potty (we take her outside and walk her, just not daily for her to do her business). And she's 4 years old. She's been pad trained since she was a puppy. How is she not pad trained enough? And what are some signs of dog stress?

·
Registered
27 Posts
We don't take ours for walks to go potty (we take her outside and walk her, just not daily for her to do her business). And she's 4 years old. She's been pad trained since she was a puppy. How is she not pad trained enough? And what are some signs of dog stress?
She's not pad trained enough if she's having accidents. Have you cleaned that spot REALLY REALLY well?

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Have you cleaned the spot where her accidents always happen with a cleaner like Nature's Miracle to get rid of all of the odor, even the odor humans can't smell? Because even if you can't smell anything, your dog's nose is like thousands of times more powerful and she can smell everything. And dogs are attracted back to the same spot that they've gone before to do their business. I would guess that the reason why she keeps going in the same spot over and over is because she can still smell her previous accidents.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
She's not pad trained enough if she's having accidents. Have you cleaned that spot REALLY REALLY well?
We spray a thing that takes away the smell. But I'm kind of dumbfounded now. She has accidents maybe once a month, if that. And she's not pad trained enough? :S this has taken me by surprise.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
What I'm wondering is how well you have cleaned the area where these "accidents" happen? It may not be stress or not being housetrained (or pad trained I guess). The last couple of "accidents" that Caeda had were in the same spot, and we realized we hadn't cleaned it enough after one of her early accidents and it likely still smelled like pee to her. She probably thought it was an appropriate place to go as an alternative to outside. We cleaned the area (linoleum tiles) with regular cleaning stuff and some bleach, rinsed thoroughly then sprayed some enzyme cleaner. She hasn't gone in the house since (except for a minor dribble once when she was excited). That was about three or more months ago. She still goes to that area though and sniffs, maybe to see if somehow it smells like a good place to go again (this is one way we know she REALLY needs to go). Something to consider, and don't forget that if you can't smell it, that doesn't mean that your dog can't!

·
Registered
373 Posts
... we take her outside and walk her, just not daily for her to do her business).
So how often do you actually take her out? She might be a Chihuahua, but she still needs exercise and mental stimulation. Being bored to death can also cause stress!

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
I agree, clean the area with an enzymatic cleaner. What type of product are you currently using? If it's not an enzymatic cleaner, but rather a regular household cleaner, it probably leaves enough of a scent for your dog to smell.

There are things that can cause problems with a dog that you thought was potty trained....like changes in environment, changes in routine, illness, things like that.

It sounds like maybe she needs to have a little more supervision in the house to remind her to potty outside only....keep your eyes on her when you're home with her, so you can see if she shows signs of needing to pee/poop.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I find your problem is the spot isn't cleaned enough. If there's pee smell it just means peeing there is okay to do. It may of first happened as a accident like she wasn't feeling well, stressed, etc but the times after that usually are a reaction to the smell. I would get a different cleaner, one extra strength for set in smells to clean it up. Then retrain her to wanting to only go on the pad or outside, give her treats and praise like you would a puppy for not going in that spot. Just because she is trained doesn't mean you'll never have to again. Something changes that can alter their habit and you have to point her back to the right path.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts