Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I have this two and half months old puppy and its been pooping and peeping all over the place. So what should i do to train it to do the stuff at one place? And how much time will it take for him to be trained?

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Do you free feed the dog? He should only have access to his food during specified meal times. This way, you have a good idea when he will need his walk.
Take puppy outside very often. Every hour, if you can. Every time he wakes up from a nap - he needs to go outside. After every exercise/play session - outside. Few minutes after every meal/water drinking - outside.
When he pottys outside - pet him and praise him. Offer him a treat.
When he pottys inside...no response. Do not hit or scold him. Just ignore it. Unless you catch him right in the middle - then you can make a good distraction noise - "AH AH!" and take him outside right away.

He is still very young. Some get it sooner than others. I have one girl who wasn't fully trained until 9months of age (She has chronic uti s though...) My boy learned pretty quickly.

I think they say the rule is that if he is 2.5 months, the most he can hold it is 2.5 hours. 3 months - 3 hours. So on, so forth.

Good luck and keep at it.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Sorry to be rude, but it sounds like you shouldn't own a dog if you haven't a clue as to how to train it.
.....water under the bridge..... he has the dog.....so, anything constructive to say? I would guess this is a kid asking about his family dog. The "pooping porblem" line is why I guess that. Also because this is not a "porblem" at all, just a puppy that needs training.

Lets see if the OP comes back and if he really wants to learn.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Sorry to be rude, but it sounds like you shouldn't own a dog if you haven't a clue as to how to train it.
That's not fair. Part of owning a dog is learning how to train it. The fact the the question has been asked shows they are trying to figure it out.

Consistancy is the key. If you take him outside, and he doesn't go, put him back in the crate for a little while. It'll teach him to hold it (hopefully), and will also teach him that if he goes outside, he gets play time. (Mine will pee anytime we go outside now, even if it's 2 drops). Mine is learning fast (bout 4 weeks). He's already running to the door to go out. Just be consistant. If he starts going inside, pick him up and take him where he should go.

Also, if he's already "going" alot in the house, maybe try teaching him to use puppy pads inside, then slowly start moving them outside. Might be easier for him to pick up.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
19 Posts
usally dogs like to pee and poop in one spot. but to train it u bring the dog to one spot when it has to go and when it does its buissens you reward it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts