Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night my dog was having dieheria with blood. It was pretty bloody at first, and did it frequently. It was late at night so I couldn't take her to the vet. She did drink some water. Today this morning she stopped pooping as much as she did. I read online and searched for treatment. I found that pumpkin in a can can help with her dieheria, and it kind of did. Her poop had a shape instead of being liquid, but it still had blood. Note that she doesn't seem in pain, and can move around fine. We went for a walk this morning and she seemed pretty happy, wagging her tail and all. Shes not eating her kibble so I tried feeding her some packaged soft dog food mixed with the pumpkin, and she seemed to vomit some of it, not all. Is this a case of an upset stomach? Should I give it another day? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Vet, vet, vet. So many things can cause this, some of which are emergencies, and it's against forum rules to discuss medical issues that have not been diagnosed and treated by a veterinary professional. Get her in ASAP - to an emergency clinic if your regular vet can't squeeze her in - and I'll be hoping for her quick recovery!

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
^^^
THIS! She needs to go to the vet. Loose, bloody stools can serious. Combined with vomiting, it's even more so.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
*Update*
I took her to the vet. They told me she doesnt have any parasites based on the stool sample. We told them that she has been eating bones from our garbage. They rehydrated her and gave us some meds to give her for her vomiting and dieheria. She does seem better, so far no vomiting and dieheria, and shes starting to eat and drink again. Right now shes resting. Thanks for your replies, I'll keep you guys updated, she should be fine by two days.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Eating stuff sh'es not supposed to, like bones from the garbage, can definitely upset the gut. Hope she feels better soon. I'd also look into either putting the garbage somewhere that she can't access. or else getting a trash can that she can't raid, like a Simple Human step can. The only time my animals have been able to get into the Simple Human trashcan we have has been when it's too full, and the top wouldn't close properly. I've had it for over fifteen years, now, and it has been worth every penny I paid for it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
*Update*
The vet gave us medication for Chickis when we took her to the vet. He showed us how to properly give her the medication, after he did so Chickis felt active. When I took her out soon after her stool was green instead of bloody (which I'm assuming was from the medicine). She also has to take some pills for vomiting. She is back to a more tired mode, uninterested. She started pooping blood again and started vomiting. The vet did say that it would take 2 days for her tummy to heal so I hope it's just her in the process of healing. She took her medicine at 7, and I gave her pill at 9 (she wouldn't take it down, possibly cause she didnt enjoy it when the vet gave it to her, so we dissolved it in water and gave it to her through a syringe). I'll have to give her medicine again at 3am. This is my first time seeing my dog go through some sickness, so I hope it is just an upset stomach of some sort.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts