Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently there was a stray kitten (still has the blue eyes) that went inside the yard. It was hostile at first but gradually became friendly. After walks I sometimes let the dog (a female Pom) play with the kitten for maybe 10 minutes.

The kitten has this style of pawing the dog which I am worrying about due to possibly clawing the dog in the eye.

Another worry is that the style of play that the dog is doing is running around the kitten all excited. Sometimes the kitten chases the dog. As an aside the kitten has that tensed fur posture when it's being stalked by the dog. However, when the dog is still the kitten rubs itself on the dog and sometimes goes under the dog. I have a feeling that this will create reactivity (the play issue) but at times I also think that it will desensitize the dog to any stray cats around during walks. Can someone correct this. I want to nip this in the bud if I have to.

·
Registered
7,440 Posts
It sounds fine. I wouldn't worry about the play. If the kitten is good-tempered, you could even clip its claws for extra peace of mind. Pet stores sell little cat nail clippers that work well, and cat claws are easy to clip; just clip off the sharp tip.

If it's a stray cat, I'd worry more about pests/disease than anything. Did you/can you take it in to the vet? I'd get a dewormer and some flea prevention meds (not all the brands that are safe for dogs are safe for cats), and at least its initial few sets of vaccinations.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
The kitten is more in danger than the dog. A dog can break a kitten pretty easily (including a Pom).

I think you should adopt the kitten, get it vaccinated and fixed and let the two of them play (supervised). I have a big old House Dog who has as her best friend a cat.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Have you adopted that kitten? Would be nice to know.
I think that dog possibly could harm the kitten, by accident of course. I would worry more about fleas indeed, flea treatment for the kitten is a must. Articles like this suggest shampoos with herbal extracts. However, you should definitely take him to a vet, so kitten could be examined on other pests also.

·
Registered
8,384 Posts
I always step in when things need to calm down, it has always helped over time (for the dogs) to learn there is boundaries not to cross. Its a good training situation , opportunity, where the dogs need to learn to listen to you take your direction when there is over stimulating situations.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts