Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My sister has a 8 month old pup named Pretty Boi and I don't know how to fix his problem. When he does something bad, he submits when we call him to try to show him what he did wrong, he pees. It's not even little drips anymore, it turned into puddles. Also, when he gets excited he does the same thing.

My sister has learned to also talk to him sweet and that's not helping either because it's harder for me to train him. He never knows what he's doing wrong. I've been taking care of him because my sister is not. He's just a big puppy disaster, I've trained all my dogs when their puppies, but he's different. I don't know what to do. I've learned to train my dogs myself through experience, trail and error, and advice. I need advice about this urinated pup. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Excitment urination and submissive urination are two different things.
But, I'm confused as to how sweet talking is counterproductive to your style of training. How exactly are you training? No treats, rewards or praise....calling the dog to you to be punished? How you doing the corrections?

·
Banned
459 Posts
Excitment urination and submissive urination are two different things.
Tooney, while I 100% agree with you that excitement urination and submissive urination are two different things, every female dog that I have ever met that excitment pee's also submissive pee's.

So while they are different they are not mutually exclusive.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
So while they are different they are not mutually exclusive.
That's correct. The OP says Pretty Boi does the "same thing" whether he's excited or submitting. I was just pointing out that two different things are happening. Consequently, they will need to be handled separately.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
Submissive peeing is caused by low confidence. You shouldn't call him to you to "show him what he's done wrong", he is a DOG, not a human, and does not understand this. Dogs have short memories and attentions spans, and he can't remember what he did wrong, he only knows that you're mad. So he pees, because this would appease another dog....he doesn't know that you don't appreciate it so much.

You need to use only positive methods to train him, to boost his confidence levels. Your sister has the right idea with using "sweet talk", this can help him to become more confident. Look up "positive dog training" on Amazon.com---they have a LOT of good books that can help you with him.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Hmmmmm....My dog never peed when submissive, only when she got excited. Maybe she's an anomaly. In any case, it's all about boosting the dog's confidence. A good course of obedience training using only positive reinforcement (treats, praise, toys) will give the dog more confidence. You also need to avoid babying the dog when it's submissive or excited -- this just reinforces the behavior. Distracting the dog when you know it's in a situation where it might pee worked for us. Example:

- dog sees person she loves and for whom she normally pees
- before dog and person greet each other, give the dog a sit/stay command
- instruct the person to ignore the dog until the dog is calm enough to greet without peeing

Enough repetition of exercises like this in combination with daily obedience training will do the trick over time. Good luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts