Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey y'all,

My 15 week old dingo/heeler mutt Pepper has been at my or my girlfriends side since we got her 5 weeks ago. She's just about 100% potty trained (messes by the back door if we don't hear her or see her do her "pee-walk"). She's been an absolute delight. Plenty of walks, is learning to ride in a bike trailer, she's so much fun.

Because of my living situation, I haven't been able to leave her alone yet. That's 15 weeks of her entire life she's been around someone. Her raisers did the same - they were travelers and always had her around.

I work from home and my town is very dog friendly, so we're always together. If I run errands that she can't come to, my girlfriend watches her.

For the past few days, we've tried to leave her alone more. I went outside today to chat with a friend and she peed by the door.

Is this submissive pee? Does she know she's doing it?

I don't repremand her, as I'm not catching the "action". What are my choices? Will an older bladder pee less? Is this a behavior she'll naturally grow out of?

Thanks for the help!

- Casey (& Pepperdooooooog)

·
Banned
7,725 Posts
It sounds like she's still just a puppy and doesn't know/can't hold her bladder while you're away. An older bladder WILL be able to hold it longer, assuming nothing is medically wrong. It's likely not submissive peeing if nothing is going on around here, and at that age I find it hard to believe it would be anxious peeing either.

I would buy a crate for her for when you do need to leave (this will help prevent seperation anxiety, too!) and crate her in it. Since you're around so much right now, get her used to it by feeding her in it, playing games where she has to go in it, etc. and gradually work up to closing the door and sitting across the room from her. If she cries/whines/barks, you need to ignore it.

Then, when you leave, you can put her in the crate where she will be less likely to pee/poop, and it will be safer than leaving her to roam in your house. She won't be able to chew up any cords, carpet, couches, or tables which will be the best for her and your items.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the help DJEtzel. I plan on picking up a cage for her in the next few days -- I'd like to get into my new place first (3 weeks), but that's probably a bad idea. Should start her here.

She has a XPen inside, with a dog/cat crate. She's almost too long for it and doesn't really care for it. I think a larger metal crate would be ideal.

The issue is - she pees within 2 minutes of me leaving. Yesterday, my girlfriend and I left her in the car for ~5-7 mins while getting some yogurt. When we came back, she had peed on the passenger seat. I believe that, and the 2 puddles today (both while I was outside, peed, came back in, then back out, she peed) is more towards anxious peeing.

Can anyone confirm that?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts