Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Penny (10 month old French bulldog) has peed on two dog beds so far. She first did this around 4-5 months old, where I attributed it to her mistaking it for a pee pad. So I figured she would grow out of it.

I bought another dog bed last month and she peed on it within the hour. She has never peed on a couch pillow (which are often on the floor) or bed pillow. She's also never had an accident in my bed.

Assuming she doesn't have a UTI, what could it be? Marking her territory? I'd really like to give her somewhere comfy (that's not my cheap carpeting) while I'm at work. But she doesn't seem to like dog beds.

I'm thinking that I need to find a dog bed with a waterproof/removable cover I can wash. The idea of putting an entire soiled dog bed in the wash just kind of grosses me out, but I need to stop buying new ones!

·
Registered
4,041 Posts
It could be a territory thing.... something *new* that doesn't smell like the house and she's attempting to make it smell not *new*.
I wouldn't throw out the ones she's soiled, I would just wash them and then place them in spots she likes to hang out. In the future, I would also wash anything that comes into the house, immediately, so that it smells like your detergent rather than *new* - this might help because your detergent should be a smell she's used to smelling on your clothes.

I would check out the possibility of a UTI as well, just to be cautious.

·
Super Moderator
7,273 Posts
Kuma has never liked new beds either at first. What I have actually found works, odd as it sounds, is to sit on the bed myself for a while when I first get it, so that it smells like me. After that, he loves them, lol.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts