Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Our 4-year-old pug D'arcy was diagnosed with a liver shunt last summer after frequent UTI's and small crystals in her urine. After a surgical attempt to tie it off the vet found that it was unsafe to do so as we risked killing her. Thankfully when she was in there and did the liver biopsy she said the shunt is smaller than thought and told us to keep her on Science Diet L/D and absolutely no meat. (Her only treats are carrots, yogurt and cottage cheese now.)

She takes 1 ML of lactulose 3x a day. We still see stones here and there but we're told that will be normal.

I noticed last month that the stones seemed slight bit larger but she still has no trouble passing them and shows no signs of discomfort.

Tonight, whenever she is urinating, it comes out bright red and there are some dark thick clumps of blood in it. She doesn't flinch, whine or show any signs of discomfort; she's just as playful as ever. Does anyone know what this could be? My gut says she probably just has a scratched urethra due to a stone passing but I've never dealt with this before (the blood clumps) and I'm freaking out! The vet said to bring her in tomorrow but didn't seem worried as she's is acting 100% totally normal and playful, not vomiting and is eating all her food no problem. She also is in no visible discomfort as I said above whenever urinating.

Does anyone here have any experiences with this to calm me until the vet appointment? Is this kind of thing normal for dogs living with crystals/shunts?

Thanks

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Wow, you poor thing. Liver shunt and bladder stones. That liver diet might be right but it might not be right for the bladder problem. What about contacting a nutritionist for a specially designed diet? Different stones need different treatments and then there is the shunt.

Hard to believe it doesn't hurt when bleeding so much, you have a tough dog. If she is peeing then the stones are either small or staying in the bladder so there isn't an blockage, that is a good thing. Wiki says the medication can dehydrate, is forcing fluids okay with liver shunts?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thankfully the blood stopped in the middle of the night. Just got back from the vet today and he said it was either a nicked bladder due to her urate crystals or a UTI. He took a urinalysis and started her on antibiotics and said she appears to be fine. (Thank God!)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts