Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Today, I took my dog out as usual for a walk. There is an older lady who gives treats to all the neighborhood dogs, so i stopped there and i was talking to a dog owner and her dog when suddenly my dog started peeing on me. I was quite embarrassed, but then he goes and pees on another dog. I was so embarrassed, he has also growled at me when i went to kiss him. which made me think he was being dominant, so lately i've been trying to act more assertive, and been doing more training but this shows that it obviously hasn't been working. Hes a rat terrier, and hasn't ever bitten or snapped, only growled. So can anyone help?

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
I am not absolutely sure, ... but I would say he was marking you as his territory. IMO no need to think him dominant ... he needs to know that you can handle the situation and he can just relax about all of it. :) Remember,.... just guessing by the mental pic I got.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am not absolutely sure, ... but I would say he was marking you as his territory. IMO no need to think him dominant ... he needs to know that you can handle the situation and he can just relax about all of it. :) Remember,.... just guessing by the mental pic I got.
That's what I was hoping, but I always seem to jump to the worst conclusion.

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
If you see your dog doing that again, I'd nip it in the butt. Tell him "no" or "eh eh" or whatever you use to not get him to do that. In my opinion peeing on something is dominance, but it may not be here. Luke's dad, when we were in Pennsylvania to see the pups, peed on my father. Now I'm not sure if he was claiming Dad, but Dad moved quickly, but I would correct the behavior for sure.

As for the growling, maybe your dog doesn't like it when you get his face. Your face may seem large to him. When I approach my dog's face in a kissing manner, I go slow and watch for his reactions. Then I say, "Can I have a kissey?" And he gives me one. We never know how our dogs will react, but that's why I think he's growling at you. Approach him slowly, this is what I have learned. Good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts