Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I am wanting to take my dog to the dog park.. He is a young male Dogue De Bordeaux named George.... He is very social and very good with other dogs, big or small he plays with them all...... He is a big strong boy so I have no worries about him ever being bullied, however I do have 1 reservation...you see George drools, and when he's playing he drools more then any other dog I have seen.... My worry is that my boy is going to drool all over everyone's dogs , when ever he plays with other dogs they get completely soaked, its unbelievable how much of a mess he can make..... He is a sweet gentle guy, but my god does he make a mess when he plays..... Now am I going to get people mad at me because of how badly George is going to soak their dogs ? I am unsure what to think and as much as I would love to take him to a dog park I am unsure what people are going to think of this 100 lb plus Red Mastiff with 3 foot drool stringers hanging off his face ...George just loves to play and tends to do alot of gentle mouthing with his playmates, however after a hour of play with George the other dogs always need a bath...... So what does everyone think of this ? am I am being rude taking George to play with other dogs ? or is excessive drooling acceptable ?

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
DDB's are lovely dogs except for the drooling problem. I'm sure you've seen Turner & Hooch. That's how I 1st became familar with the breed. No offence, but I woudn't want my bc covered in dog drool because of the time it takes to bath her.

Do you know other drooly dogs, DDBs, newfys etc that he could play with. Even though you say he's ok with small dogs I would be worried he'd knock them over accidentally & hurt them. I think in a park situation dogs should be evenly matched in size & play styles.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I wouldn't have a problem with it. Dogs play, they get messy. I would be prepared to give my pup a bath after going to a dog park anyway if she needed it, and dog drool is just something that might happen. I wouldn't blame you or your dog for it! And yes, although you should have your dog in the size appropriate section (if your park has one) I would love my smaller dog to have the chance to play with a larger gentle dog, drool and all. The temperament of the dog is what matters to me.

But it will depend on the people at the park on the day. I think you will get different answers from different people, so I am not sure you can use what people say here and apply it to all the people at your dog park.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Lol, this happened at the dog park on Friday...a mastiff mix was trying to play with my sheltie, they only played for about a minute b/c my sheltie was a little scared of him, but when he came back over to me he had drool all over him. His whole face and one side of him was completely covered. It was gross but not a huge deal to me...maybe you could bring a towel for unsuspecting shelties and their owners?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
DDB's are lovely dogs except for the drooling problem. I'm sure you've seen Turner & Hooch. That's how I 1st became familar with the breed. No offence, but I woudn't want my bc covered in dog drool because of the time it takes to bath her.

Do you know other drooly dogs, DDBs, newfys etc that he could play with. Even though you say he's ok with small dogs I would be worried he'd knock them over accidentally & hurt them. I think in a park situation dogs should be evenly matched in size & play styles.

actually my boy is extremely gentle with little dogs...its amazing really, he usually will lay down and let the little dogs win the wrestling matches..... here is a video of George and a French Bulldog/Pug cross playing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vcffl-K7WuE

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
That's what towels are for. :) Besides, it's a dog park. Haven't seen one yet that didn't have lots of dirt, poop, & mud to get all over the dogs, not to mention whatever the other dogs had for lunch which always seems to end up all over my dog's ears. If you're not prepared to clean your dog off after a trip to the dog park, you're not ready for a dog park, IMO. What's a little drool among friends?

Maybe I'm not a good one to ask, though. My dog loves big drooly dogs. She can bat them around and jump on them and they don't even blink. And I'd rather see my dog have a good time with one of these big guys and worry about the mess later. If she's just had a bath, I do try to keep her clean for at least a day or two because I enjoy my big fluffy dog, but beyond that trying to keep dirt off my dog is like trying hold back the tides. It just isn't going to happen!

P.S. just watched your video - Poca would adore playing with your guy!

·
Registered
631 Posts
I've seen people take drool rags with them to the park. Every so often call their dog, wipe the drool and send them back off to play. Can't say it really bugs me unless Smudge is in show coat.. and then he wouldn't be at a dog park ;)

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
I've seen people take drool rags with them to the park. Every so often call their dog, wipe the drool and send them back off to play. Can't say it really bugs me unless Smudge is in show coat.. and then he wouldn't be at a dog park ;)
I've seen people do this, too, and I think the other dog owners appreciated it.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
eh, spit happens :)

wouldn't bother me....the few times I have been to the DP its been a muddy, dusty, mess...so my guys get washed up at home anyways.....so wouldn't bother me...I do think its a nice gesture to bring a rag to wipe with every so often.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Shoot anytime I take my boys to the dp I plan to wash them afterwards, then if I don't have to great, but if I do no big deal.

There's an Irish Setter that goes to our dp alot that drools like crazy, and the owner is always there with a rag and wipes his face every so often. And almost everytime we go, our boston ends covered in drool from head to toe, even if there isn't really a dog who drools there. :confused: And he would love to play with your boy the bigger they are the more he wants to play with them. If we take him into the small dog area he watches the gate and escapes to the big dog area first chance he gets.:p

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
I would go, and if your dog was playing with my dog I could give a rat's-behind if yours was drooling on mine. : ) It's cute and funny, at the same time gross, but they're dogs, and our "fur-kids", and being a type of "kid", they're going to get messy at parks... Trying to keep them clean all the time would be like putting one of our kids in a plastic bubble! lol.

I would go and have fun, granted the whole "take-a-towel-for-drool" thing is kinda nice, and would show you're trying to be courteous, but I wouldn't say people would be upset... And heck, if they do get upset, they're probably just the type of people that get upset over every little thing, or find faults in everything...

Have fun! I'm sure George will! ; )

1 - 11 of 11 Posts