Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just reading ioreks_mom post about the dog park. Which is funny because we were going to do our first trip today (it was flooded)

For the very reason she was so angry is why I always have second thoughts about going. I have been back and forth on it.

I read a review of the one I was going to take Sai to in the Lake Stevens paper. The writer went there for her first time and things were great. She talked about feeling kinda foolish about being on her dog every second while everybody else there was relaxed. It made me laugh because I would be the same way, always watching to make sure our Sai behaved right!

Sai is a monster if he does not get a ton of exercise, yet as some of you may have read we have an explosion of trash in this neigborhood so walking here really sucks!

I want to go to a dog park so bad, yet I am worried of that one dog that attacks Sai. Or what if Sai does not like another dog there:eek: I am not sure how to think about this?

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
I was just reading ioreks_mom post about the dog park. Which is funny because we were going to do our first trip today (it was flooded)

For the very reason she was so angry is why I always have second thoughts about going. I have been back and forth on it.

I read a review of the one I was going to take Sai to in the Lake Stevens paper. The writer went there for her first time and things were great. She talked about feeling kinda foolish about being on her dog every second while everybody else there was relaxed. It made me laugh because I would be the same way, always watching to make sure our Sai behaved right!

Sai is a monster if he does not get a ton of exercise, yet as some of you may have read we have an explosion of trash in this neigborhood so walking here really sucks!

I want to go to a dog park so bad, yet I am worried of that one dog that attacks Sai. Or what if Sai does not like another dog there:eek: I am not sure how to think about this?
My vote is that unless the dog park is one of the rare supervised ones, you should stay far far far away from any dog park. All it takes is one bad experience for your pup or dog to turn a friendly pup/dog into a dog aggressive one out of fear of what might happen. You are much better off finding a few dog friends when you take puppy and obedience classes and arranging play dates than going to a dog park where you don't know the owners or dogs and are just asking for trouble. If you feel you must go, at least go when very few people are likely to be there and leave when it starts to get more than a very few dogs.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
I only started taking my boys to the dog park after all their shots were done, mastered the basic obedience and the recall was 100%. The same rule will apply to Xena. I dont want other dog owners to suffer from my dogs lack of manners, so I made sure they were really ready before we went for the first time.

·
Registered
390 Posts
It depends on the park and the people who go. At my park very rarely we have to speak up and tell people how they should be doing things, or that they need to leave.

My dog basically grew up at the dog park. I got him around 4 or 5 months old in feb/march, and ever since he's gone to the dog park at least 3 days a week. He avoids dogs he doesn't like, and only bothers with those he's met before and likes to play with.

There are times where the dogs get too excited, but this is where you need to know what to look out for and intervene before a fight happens. Being a regular at the DP I've learned exactly when something needs to be done before something bad happens. Out of the couple hundred times I've been there I've only once seen a dog get hurt enough to have to go to the vet, and it was because it jumped and landed funny and hurt his leg.

I also know almost all the dogs that go to the park, so I know which ones I need to be cautious about, and if it's a dog I've seen before then I study it until I learn his behaviors.

I recommend going at an off time so that Sai doesn't get over whelmed. At dusk and dawn is when dog parks are always the busiest, so sometime in between that, like maybe lunch time or a couple hours after that when only a few people are there.

Also I'm not sure how much Sai weighs, but if your dog park doesn't have a big dog and a small dog side then you might want to wait until he's at least 25-30 pounds before you take him.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Honestly... if you want to go that bad, I would suggest going and checking it out on your own first, without Sai. Survey the surroundings and the other dogs and people. Study the behavior of others... maybe talk around with other owners and you know just things like that.

Then make sure that Sai is mentally ready for it. He is still VERY young I think? I'm not talking 8 weeks or anything... but young nonetheless. How is his recall and his obedience towards you? I agree with Mudra with what she did... do not go until your baby is completely trained and has mastered the recall.

Until then my opinion is to stay away. (I would honestly never take a pup to a dog park :()

Good LUCK!
Nessa

·
Banned
1,053 Posts
Honestly... if you want to go that bad, I would suggest going and checking it out on your own first, without Sai. Survey the surroundings and the other dogs and people. Study the behavior of others... maybe talk around with other owners and you know just things like that.

Then make sure that Sai is mentally ready for it. He is still VERY young I think? I'm not talking 8 weeks or anything... but young nonetheless. How is his recall and his obedience towards you? I agree with Mudra with what she did... do not go until your baby is completely trained and has mastered the recall.

Until then my opinion is to stay away. (I would honestly never take a pup to a dog park :()

Good LUCK!
Nessa
Took the words right out of my mouth!!! Go alone a FEW times and see how it goes and who's there and how the dogs behave.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
I like going personally...we've never had a bad experience there, but my dog was attacked on a leash walk on my own street, so bad experiences can happen everywhere. I do try to go when it's less crowded, due to my work schedule I'm never there on weekends or evenings, so that works out, the most we've ever seen is four other dogs I think, but usually only one or two, and sometimes none. There is a sheltie that my dogs play with regularly, we always enjoy seeing her there.

I agree about training and recall though, I took Scarlett recently and she did great, her recall is pretty good, but when it came time to leave and I called her with the leash in my hand, she wouldn't come and it took forever to catch her. :rolleyes:

The only other bad thing is that last time there were 3 or 4 huge poops left behind by someone, and that really really makes me mad...

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
I like going personally...we've never had a bad experience there, but my dog was attacked on a leash walk on my own street, so bad experiences can happen everywhere. I do try to go when it's less crowded, due to my work schedule I'm never there on weekends or evenings, so that works out, the most we've ever seen is four other dogs I think, but usually only one or two, and sometimes none. There is a sheltie that my dogs play with regularly, we always enjoy seeing her there.

I agree about training and recall though, I took Scarlett recently and she did great, her recall is pretty good, but when it came time to leave and I called her with the leash in my hand, she wouldn't come and it took forever to catch her. :rolleyes:

The only other bad thing is that last time there were 3 or 4 huge poops left behind by someone, and that really really makes me mad...
Uggh! Tell me about it... that is why I cannot walk my dogs on my street! :mad: Or in my neighborhood at all... its so saddening. People do not know how to keep their dogs confined or trained. So many people have been attacked walking, so have I... and my father was bit on his bike last year... the dogs made him fall down!

I have to walk the dogs in James' neighborhood... so nice I call it "The Dr. Sues Neighborhood!" LOL!
There was recently two Pit Bulls that were dumped about a week ago on my street. They are aggressive... the animal control is working on catching them. So that doesnt help either... my neighborhood being a hot dump spot. Uggh!
Nessa

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So after reading all the posts I will check it out first, once it isnt flooded! And I will train him with the recall also.

It has either snowed or rained badly so I have nto been able to teach recall. But we have a break in the weather coming so I will teach him.

You guys are great with the advice and I thank you for that!

Oh and Sai is now 23 lbs, I still pick him up but that is about to come to a end:eek:

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
So after reading all the posts I will check it out first, once it isnt flooded! And I will train him with the recall also.

It has either snowed or rained badly so I have nto been able to teach recall. But we have a break in the weather coming so I will teach him.

Oh and Sai is now 23 lbs, I still pick him up but that is about to come to a end:eek:
Hehe yea it comes to an end fast lol. It came to an end VERY FAST with Callahan and Jade! Hahah!

You can practice in the house you know? You can do it with a lead and have him run off and call him back... every time he comes back you praise and give treats! EVERYTIME! Hehe... make it fun for him to come back to you. It will be a start before the weather gives and you can do it outside. People do it in PetSmart all the time with the training. Just give it a try! ;) Good Luck!
nessa

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
i really loved to go to my dog park, its really big with only few dogs there, so mostly its just Zephyr and i hanging out. my advice is to go, it can be great, yes sometimes there are dogs there that aren't great but i just take Zephyr some where else, either for a walk, which is always good to come down or just to the other end untill they leave.

most people don't stay too long. and if a dog you don't like stays just leave and come back another day. as long as you keep your dog in your sight and not too far away and keep track of who is there you should be fine :)

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Hehe yea it comes to an end fast lol. It came to an end VERY FAST with Callahan and Jade! Hahah!

You can practice in the house you know? You can do it with a lead and have him run off and call him back... every time he comes back you praise and give treats! EVERYTIME! Hehe... make it fun for him to come back to you. It will be a start before the weather gives and you can do it outside. People do it in PetSmart all the time with the training. Just give it a try! ;) Good Luck!
nessa

I will do that :) Petsmart is also where we have our puppy class :)

i really loved to go to my dog park, its really big with only few dogs there, so mostly its just Zephyr and i hanging out. my advice is to go, it can be great, yes sometimes there are dogs there that aren't great but i just take Zephyr some where else, either for a walk, which is always good to come down or just to the other end untill they leave.

most people don't stay too long. and if a dog you don't like stays just leave and come back another day. as long as you keep your dog in your sight and not too far away and keep track of who is there you should be fine :)

I will just make sure to use the common sense method as well :0

·
Super Moderator
11,482 Posts
It depends on the park and the people who go.
Exactly.

It's like asking, "Should my kid play sports?" It depends on the kid. It depends on the sport. It depends on the team.

I had NO bad experiences taking my big lab to a dog park every day for ten years. He was attacked nearly monthly during walks around the neighborhood by foolish, loose dogs that wanted to challenge him. He was a great dog park dog and he and I made a lot of friends there.

Esther is not a good dog park dog. She doesn't initiate trouble but she has zero tolerance for those that do. The last time I took her, she nearly killed a dog that kept lunging and snapping at her.

Be cautious and diligent and don't consider yourself, or your dog, a failure if you have to pack it up and go home.

·
Banned
749 Posts

How I introduced Lola to the dog park was I took her there and we stood outside the fence. Lola did not want to be there she was trying to get me to pick her up. I did not pick her up but instead left a few minutes later.

As we were leaving she seen 2 dachshunds being walked toward the dog park with there owner. Lola on her own made an about face and started following them. Again we stood outside the fence looking in and this time she didn't try to ave me pick her up. The next time we went there we went in and she sat on the bench checking out the other dogs.

About 5-6 times later going there she started interacting with the other dogs there. Now when we go there she can't wait to get inside :).

Does your dog park have a separate area for small dogs. Both the ones I go to does. One is for 35 pounds and under the other is for any size and weight dog. Go there bring your dog and stay outsid looking in. This way you can both judge at the same time to see if it's something your dog and you are interested in.

If you were to go by yourself then how would you know if your dog will want to go or not.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You all have great advice. I think the dog park that is close by isnt the one I would love. I would like to have one that looks more well kept.

A lady at the vet told me about an off leash beach area for dogs, it is a little longer drive but sounds like great fun!

·
Banned
749 Posts
You all have great advice. I think the dog park that is close by isnt the one I would love. I would like to have one that looks more well kept.

A lady at the vet told me about an off leash beach area for dogs, it is a little longer drive but sounds like great fun!
Is it fenced in somehow?. If not I wouldn't unless you have recall established 101%. If the dog was to even find a treat and you can't recall him away from it then he is not ready for an open area off leash.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Oh yeah it is fenced in. It is new, from my understanding a man is letting a large section of his yard be a private yet open to public dog park. He cleared it with the city and everything. I still might check it out because it might be really different up close, I only saw it from a distance.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts