Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband and I will be driving from Virginia to Michigan for the holidays, which is roughly a 12 hour drive. Though our Australian Shepherd puppy does well in the car, we're thinking we'll need to stop and give her some off leash run time at some point. Does anyone know of any dog parks that are fairly close to I-80 or I-76 in Ohio or Pennsylvania? My Google search has been a little difficult.

·
Registered
11,257 Posts
You could try looking at nearby locations on Bring Fido

You say "puppy" ... has she had all her shots?

Personally, I'd just take a long leash and stop at a regular park for a short break. Unknown dog parks can be dicey since you don't know what times of day they are crowded or if there are regulars with bad manners etc.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You could try looking at nearby locations on Bring Fido

You say "puppy" ... has she had all her shots?

Personally, I'd just take a long leash and stop at a regular park for a short break. Unknown dog parks can be dicey since you don't know what times of day they are crowded or if there are regulars with bad manners etc.
She's 8 months old, so she's good on the shots. We were thinking of just doing the regular park thing, I'm just worried that she might go a little wacky in the car without getting a good run in. :(

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
I agree with Shell. It's only a 1 or 2 time thing - not like you're going to be making this trip over and over again. Think about it; you'll know nothing about the dog park and the people/dogs that inhabit it. And you certainly don't want her getting sick for the holidays!

Buy a 50' nylon leash and let'er rip! I bought mine on eBay for $15.

·
Registered
67 Posts
My daughter and friend just drove from MA to MI, with nine dogs yesterday, for a dog show. They avoid well used dog areas
as you can pick up a wide assortment of not so fun stuff. Bring poop bags and walk your dog in an area less traveled.

·
Registered
22 Posts
If you take 76w to the Akron area instead of the turnpike you can stop off at the dog park I frequent called bow wow beach. Pretty populated park, but I've never seen a fight and I've been going roughly twice a week for 6 months. You take route 8 north to graham rd, then just look up the address on line. Wouldn't take you too far off your route. Route 8 links 76 with 80, only 10-15 miles between them. Big pond to swim in too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts