Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've brought this topic up before, but now its a little more specific.

My dog got sick a couple weeks ago, the vet couldn't really pin down what it was, but she narrowed it down to probably being kennel cough (for which he is vaccinated), seasonal allergies, or a viral cold of some sort. My roommates dog ended up getting a much milder case of the same thing, and my roommates mom seems to think my dog got it from the dog park, so my question is whether anyone has every heard of dog parks being places for illness to spread... Should I be concerned, should I stop taking him there? Any tips would be appreciated!

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Kennel cough is highly contagious - similar to how humans can spread the common cold around so easily. So if someone brought their infected dog to the park (which is a total possibility. Dog parks sometimes draw less then responsible owners) then it would be quite easy for the KC to spread to your dog. Same goes for anything else. Think of it like a preschool or daycare. I wouldn't nessacaraly say dog parks are a breeding ground for such things, but they are a pretty easy environment for sickness to spread through.

He really could have picked it up anywhere, though. Anywhere other dogs have been.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Yes he could very easily catch somthing at the dog park. think about it. lots of dogs go there, some dont have that great of owners, as in bringing a sick dog out. pets stores can also have the same issue. I wouldnt stop taking him, if you both love it so be it. it would be the equivelent of a human to stop going to a bar or somthing they enjoy which is a high traffic area to catch a sickness (not saying bars are al icky. just meaning a high traffic place where there is always randoms)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts