Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about taking my boy to the dog park, and am wondering what everyone here thinks about them. What is good/bad, and any tips?

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
Some of us like 'em, some of us don't. We used to frequent, but had a lot of bad experiences and organized a play group with dogs and owners we know to avoid the occasional clueless owner and their out of control dogs. There are dog park rules, but unfortunately not every one obeys them and one bad apple can spoil the whole time. You can always check the parks out and see how things go for you.

And BTW, hello to a fellow Michigander! I get tattooed in East Lansing. :D

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
Whoever though it was a good idea to let strange dogs run around together(some with idiotic owners) was not thinking clearly...lol

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
They can vary alot depending on which owners are there at the time you go. The problem(s) with dog parks are the potential for unvaccinated dogs, dogs that are sick, unsocialized dogs, bully behavior and owners that have no control or little control of their dogs to head off trouble (ie; no recall..don't know/or care about fearful, shy dogs or ones that don't want to play, etc.).

On the plus side is some good play and exercise with other well socialized dogs.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
A dog park is exactly as good as the owners it attracts. There are four within walking distance of my apartment; one is huge, and attracts all sorts of people, including some idiots. One is mostly empty throughout the week. The remaining two are absolutely wonderful. The regulars at one have organized into volunteer committees that plan events, cleanups, improvements, donations, etc. It's an actual community of dog lovers, and not just a place where the dogs run wild. The other one was just designated a dog park this year, and we're trying our best to create something similar.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts