Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright... Today was only the second day Donatello and I went to the dog park, but I have a small rant.

A foreign woman brought her dog to the dog park to play ball... Nothing wrong with that right? No, of course not. She kept him in the main pen, what they call the Dog Run. He was a gorgeous dog, looked like a Border Collie/mix... Well, she left him on his leash, not really that much of a problem either right? Well, she wasn't holding the leash, she'd throw the ball and he'd chase it and his leash was dragging the ground, is that a problem? Somewhat yes, because there are stakes in the ground that I believe were put there by Terminex (sp) or something, that dog could easily get it caught on one of those stakes and be jerked back violently. She left the leash on him I think as a way to still have control over him, I think. So when Donatello and I were leaving I put him on his leash too, just in case. So we started walking out, now Donatello plays well with dogs, but if I tell him to "C'mon," he'll just ignore them and keep on walking... This woman's dog trotted right past her and started up to us. She hollers out, "Please no touch him, okay?" Confused I just stopped and he got somewhat close... "He's not friendly?" I asked, and she smiled and shook her head. Sure enough he wasn't, he kept trying to come up to Donatello in a dominating position and every time Donatello turned to sniff him he would growl and jump at him, like challenging; This dog was not friendly! Trust me! So I tugged at Donatello a couple times and said, "C'mon, let's go!" Luckily we manged to get out unscathed.

I could have went out the back way and around, but like I told the other gentlemen, I have to get Donatello used to the strangers and strange dogs there sooner or later.

Now what really pissed me off is if that dog is not friendly he should not be allowed to go! I understand that she was the only one in the pen, and she didn't stay long, but she had no control over him! He was too fast for her that she couldn't even grab that leash dragging on the ground if she wanted to! :mad: The previous lady that left before me went that way so her dog could play with hers, but that other dog doesn't like any dog apparently and started fighting with her... I took a chance I probably shouldn't have, but I needed to know what could happen, might happen, and how Donatello would react around a dog like that; and he did well! He didn't growl or snap back and listened to me when I told him to "C'mon".

What are some other rants you all may have about your experiences with dog parks. (I'm trying to get some ideas of what might happen and what to look out for.)

·
Registered
172 Posts
when i take biz to the park, he ignores everything else, he just wants to play ball.
so here we are, playing ball. i throw it out, he gets it, comes back and rests for about 5 mins. rinse and repeat.
well, this older guy brings his akita in, i see it trying to dominate all the other dogs it interacts with. whatever. the akita see's biz and runs up to him growling. biz glances at him then all focus is back on the ball.
while biz is chasing after the ball, the akita is biting at biz's rear, growling etc.. happens when biz is coming back to me after the fetch.
this happened 3 times, then i got fed up with it.
i told biz to come, sit, stay. he sat next to me and i told the other guy to get his dog and go to another area.
this fool tries to get his dog, who is just barking/growling at biz, while running circles around us to stay free and away from his owner.
finally i got fed up with it and said, "get your god d**n dog and go", i reached out, grabbed his dog so it wouldn't run away anymore. he got it and left to another area.
later this jack [email protected]@ comes up to me and has the nerve to say "if your dog doesn't know how to play at the dog park, maybe you shouldn't bring him"

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
Oh, there are so many stories you'll find on this forum related to dog parks.. they can be frustrating at times..

The worst for me is a woman who came in with some medium mix, took the collar off and let the dog into the big run.. and all the dog did was start attacking other dogs. I wound up picking up some lady's poor little beagle and then holding my own 40 pounder way high up in my arms. She couldn't catch the dog... I left.

You've got to know the good times to go, when only the "regulars" are there.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
when i take biz to the park, he ignores everything else, he just wants to play ball.
so here we are, playing ball. i throw it out, he gets it, comes back and rests for about 5 mins. rinse and repeat.
well, this older guy brings his akita in, i see it trying to dominate all the other dogs it interacts with. whatever. the akita see's biz and runs up to him growling. biz glances at him then all focus is back on the ball.
while biz is chasing after the ball, the akita is biting at biz's rear, growling etc.. happens when biz is coming back to me after the fetch.
i told biz to come, sit, stay. he sat next to me and i told the other guy to get his dog and go to another area.
this fool tries to get his dog, who is just barking/growling at biz, while running circles around us to stay free and away from his owner.
finally i got fed up with it and said, "get your god d**n dog and go", i reached out, grabbed his dog so it wouldn't run away anymore. he got it and left to another area.
later this jack [email protected]@ comes up to me and has the nerve to say "if your dog doesn't know how to play at the dog park, maybe you shouldn't bring him"
Was Biz upset with the other dog? If Biz didn't care, why did you? Sorry, but I think this is a human problem, not a dog problem......

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can see how troublesome and bothersome that was! Biz may not have been bothered at first, but if that Akita would have kept perusing, there's not telling what may have happened!

Donatello isn't the most social of dogs, mostly because of his past, so I'm doing my best to take "puppy" steps. I go to the park early enough when it's still chilly before everyone else arrives, by the time we're ready to go everyone else is showing up, he gets to meet a few new dogs and greet other owners and isn't bombarded with strangers.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I didn't intend for this thread to ruffle feathers, so let's not argue, please?

But I have to say in Moker's defense that it would bother me too if another dog was being extremely aggressive with my dog... It doesn't matter if the dog is even paying attention, things betweend dogs can esculate in a split second. Some people don't want their dogs being subjected to that... If I had a kid at a park and another kid was punching my kid in the back repeatedly, I'd want it to stop, wouldn't everyone else?

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
I can see how troublesome and bothersome that was! Biz may not have been bothered at first, but if that Akita would have kept perusing, there's not telling what may have happened!

Donatello isn't the most social of dogs, mostly because of his past, so I'm doing my best to take "puppy" steps. I go to the park early enough when it's still chilly before everyone else arrives, by the time we're ready to go everyone else is showing up, he gets to meet a few new dogs and greet other owners and isn't bombarded with strangers.
With well socialized dogs, what usually happens is if the dog gets annoyed it tells the other dog to stop, and it does. Is Biz a poorly socialized dog who would not be able to tell the other dog to back off on his own? If that is the fear, maybe Biz should not be a the park....

·
Registered
7,761 Posts
I didn't intend for this thread to ruffle feathers, so let's not argue, please?

But I have to say in Moker's defense that it would bother me too if another dog was being extremely aggressive with my dog... It doesn't matter if the dog is even paying attention, things betweend dogs can esculate in a split second. Some people don't want their dogs being subjected to that... If I had a kid at a park and another kid was punching my kid in the back repeatedly, I'd want it to stop, wouldn't everyone else?
From Moker's original post it didn't sound like the Akita certainly wasn't being "extremely aggressive"...just rude and obnoxious. In most situations, the other dog would simply correct quickly and the two dogs would figure out a way to get along or they would leave each other alone.

Dogs that don't understand canine social behavior rules, *whether* they react toward or away from the antagonist, do not belong at a dog park.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have seen dogs fight before all because one of them is being just a little too rude/obnoxious; If the dog doesn't like it and "tells" that other to stop but the other one doesn't take it too well a fight can break out, that's my point, things can happen. I don't see anything wrong with stopping behavior like that before it gets to that point...

I can clearly see this was not the topic to bring up. Apologies to anyone.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Dogs that don't understand canine social behavior rules, *whether* they react toward or away from the antagonist, do not belong at a dog park.
Well, I believe if a dog can't act appropriately and not run around harassing other dogs, maybe that dog shouldn't belong at a dog park... There's nothing wrong with romp-housing, but if I ever saw Donatello harassing another dog or it's owner, he'd either be put on a leash or we'd leave and come back another day when he can behave himself... Other dogs shouldn't be punished.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Was that dog actually biting skin ? Reason I say this is I regularly look after my friends Aussie and her's and mine chase each other out back for hours on end , both ways , they take turns . The dogs adore each other but when they are taking turns chasing I notice they nip at each others bum hair all the time. They dont seem to care less , I think its just part of their game.

Just my opinion .

why would i care that another dog is biting my dog on the butt?

·
Registered
79 Posts
My friend was telling me a story about his pitt and the dog park...his dog is a great dog gets along great with other dogs and people, but he is a big stocky blue nosed pit looks mean as anything but sweet as a baby....

so hes walking his dog into the park, where he normally takes him... some dude automatically has a problem with him bringing in his dog and confronts him at the gate telling him he better not bring in his dog because its going to attack the other dogs...My friend smartly didnt want a confrontaion so he just left and took the dog for a walk in the trails around the park...

Hear this story really made me angry at how arrogant some people can be towards a dog just because of his looks...I always, always let my puppy be introduced to anytype of dog and he loves them all but i fear just because hes going to look like a pit i am going to run into the same problem.....:(

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
meh...
had a whole thing type up for you mutmom, but you really don't mean much to me. so have a day.
Now this is coming off as a rude response to someone asking what you missed to include in your previous post. Perhaps a much detailed narration of your dog park experience will help others understand the situation better.

I personally dont interfere with my dogs socialization when we go to the park as long as its not making me uncomfortable. I let them sort it out. If my dogs are acting obnoxious in greeting other dogs, I call them and put them on a sit stay until they calm down and relax. I dont get mad if a dog snaps at my dog when he is being rude. Well socialized dogs know the proper way of telling another dog off and also know when to back off when they are making the other dogs uncomfortable.

Maybe you are confusing play biting to nipping? Just my guess. My dogs do that all the time when playing chase.

·
Registered
6,047 Posts
meh...
had a whole thing type up for you mutmom, but you really don't mean much to me. so have a day.
If somebody did mean much to you less than a month being on a forum i'd find that straight up weird.

Anyway.....dogparks.....to me they are trouble and nada but that.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts