Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everybody, I am just after some honest advice and opinions. My husband and I are considering getting a dog (probably a Border Terrier) after our youngest child start school in September. (We will then have a daughter of 9 and a son of 5 who will both be in full time school from 8.30- 3.30 monday to friday.) My husband always had dogs when he lived with his parents, but I have no experience of dog ownership. My worry is this, I work Monday to Wednesday, and I am out of the house 8-6pm. My husband works shifts so is about a lot during the day. However, about 3 or 4 days a month he has to do 12 hour day shifts that coincide with my working days. This means that the dog would be left from 8-6 on these days, although I have found a dog walker who is happy to come and take the dog out on these days for us. My husband plans to fit a dog flap from the kitchen to garden, and also have an open shed in the garden so the dog has access to outside whenever she needs. Is this realistic? The last thing I want is a bored, lonely and miserable dog! Thanks, Catey. xxx

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
A lot of people's dogs are alone that long 5 days a week. The secret is to contain the dog until he can be trusted to free roam (either a crate, xpen or baby gates) and use a kong to keep him busy for a while during that time. Do not let him free roam until you can trust him not to eat your couch. (Test with shorter periods of time and work your way up.)

·
Registered
482 Posts
You've actually got a much better setup than most of us! I think dog would be fine with dog walker coming in those days. With so few days needed, you could even sign the dog up for "doggy daycare" or training those few days a month without breaking the bank.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
That setup sounds pretty good! Especially with the dog walker figured into the equation!
One thing to consider though.....are you getting a puppy? That will make the overall plan a little different until puppyhood is over and general training as sunken in (free roam etc). Also consider the amount of after work puppy training! Not saying it can't be done, but especially until the dog is housetrained and can hold it for a fair amount of time you're going to have some moments you'll want to pull our your hair :p

1 - 4 of 4 Posts