Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

My dog has a relatively severe overweight problem after being fixed. I am so worried. I hope there could be a smart device/app whatever that can just help me keep track of her body fat and tell me how to keep my furrbaby healthy....Does anyone has similar problems? What should I do??

·
Super Moderator
2,845 Posts
I'd suggest bringing her to the vet and talking to them about a diet and exercise plan that's right for her. They'll be best able to help you determine how much to feed, what kinds of exercises are safe and healthy, and whether there's any underlying health issues causing her weight gain that need to be treated with medication.

·
Registered
802 Posts
What DaySleeper said. Dogs are like us they get fat when they eat too much and exercise too little, and I've never seen a food amount recommendation whether on a bag of kibble or from raw feeders that isn't too much and puts weight on my dogs - spayed females. Then there's those treats....

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Weigh her now. Start but cutting everything you give your dog by 1/3 INCLUDING treats. Weigh her again in 2 weeks. If there is very little progress, cut her food again by 1/3. Rinse repeat. Do NOT go by the food amounts on the dog food bag!

Exercise has to start slowly.. easy walks at first... Gradually increase the distance and the terrain. Teach her to retrieve a thrown ball or toy. Start close to you and add distance gradually.

Of course run this past your vet if you want to!

·
Banned
166 Posts
Hello everyone,
My dog has a relatively severe overweight problem after being fixed. I am so worried. I hope there could be a smart device/app whatever that can just help me keep track of her body fat and tell me how to keep my furrbaby healthy....Does anyone has similar problems? What should I do??
Tony Saprano said it best...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'd suggest bringing her to the vet and talking to them about a diet and exercise plan that's right for her. They'll be best able to help you determine how much to feed, what kinds of exercises are safe and healthy, and whether there's any underlying health issues causing her weight gain that need to be treated with medication.
Right, vet should be more much more reliable and helpful. Will do that. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
2,845 Posts
Great to hear! It's so helpful to have someone knowledgeable who can observe your dog in person and help you determine what a good goal weight is, and recommend diets available to you locally if necessary. Wishing you lots of luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great to hear! It's so helpful to have someone knowledgeable who can observe your dog in person and help you determine what a good goal weight is, and recommend diets available to you locally if necessary. Wishing you lots of luck!
Definitely, thanks!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts