Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now my little Patchy is very fond of cuddles and sleeping with mummy but unfortunatley my partner HATES it, so we have an agreement that cuddles on my settee are allowed but not on the bed but once the boyf leaves for work or isn't in for any reason mr patch always comes for a sneaky cuddle with mummy hehe but if the boyf catches patch he plays blue murder as if patch has committed a crime is it really that bad hmmmmm?

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Patch is too cute. I would be powerless to prevent him from snuggling. Tell your boyfriend it's no use!

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
We don't allow the dog to sleep with us because the cats do, and it would cause all sorts of uproar and we wouldn't be able to sleep. The cats came first, the bed is theirs. We do let him run around on the bed (he likes to burrow) when we're getting ready for work in the morning.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
He's stripy like a tiger!

I love having Kabota in the bed and on the couch. He is a cuddling king. I haven't noticed any behavioral issues, either, since I started allowing him up on the bed. (He initially wasn't allowed on the bed because he couldn't get down on his own. Now that he can jump on and off, he's allowed.)

Really, it's up to you guys as a personal preference.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
Oh my, all of our pets sleep in our bed, except the parrot! :)

The thing is, by allowing your pup on the bed when your bf isn't around, you are setting your pup up to receive your bf's anger/frustration when he does happen to catch him. Even if it isn't directly aimed at Patch, just more general anger, at you, at the pup, at the situation, the dog senses that.

So, my advice would be to decide one way or the other, to have the dog up or not. OR, use a command to invite the dog up, and only allow the dog up when invited. Make sure that you and your bf discuss this, though, so that he realizes that it's a compromise, the dog won't be allowed up when he's there, but might be allowed up when he's not there, so that he quits getting mad about it.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Well I can see why your partner doesn't want it. Our dog is not allowed on the bed either. In fact, he's not allowed upstairs at all ;)

·
Registered
717 Posts
If my big girl didnt have Spay incontinence we be in bed together every night (shes on meds for it but still dribbles every now and then and I love her but not enough to sleep in her pee...).....
One drawback though is hygiene stuff (I dont want to think about whats on their paws, as my guys tend to step in things, also one Boxer we had that we did sleep with used to raid the kitty litter and one night @3am threw up cat poo and litter all over the bed while sleeping with my husband and me! That was the last time we had dogs in bed-- we went out and got him a puppy the next week and from then on he and the pup slept together on THEIR bed (and we didnt have to feel guilty about it...)-- funny we never did have to crate that pup she just slept through the night with him and followed his routine....

·
Registered
394 Posts
All my hairy children sleep with me and wouldn't have it any other way. The best part of my day begins with me saying "good morning". It's their cue that it's time to get up and it's a no-holds-bar level of excitement that makes me laugh every morning.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Holly is allowed on the bed, but it's only me and her right know, she would still be allowed on it anyway, she is also allowed on the sofa's.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Your dog is way to cute! In our home, we use to allow our dogs up on the bed all the time, but not so much anymore because Ma'ii started getting possessive and actually began nipping my husband... So, he isn't allowed up there now, and to simply keep things fair, we don't allow Charlotte up either. I miss cuddling with them up on the bed, but my husband's safety and well being comes first. If it weren't for that however, we'd love to have them up with us.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
If my big girl didnt have Spay incontinence we be in bed together every night (shes on meds for it but still dribbles every now and then and I love her but not enough to sleep in her pee...).....
One drawback though is hygiene stuff (I dont want to think about whats on their paws, as my guys tend to step in things, also one Boxer we had that we did sleep with used to raid the kitty litter and one night @3am threw up cat poo and litter all over the bed while sleeping with my husband and me! That was the last time we had dogs in bed-- we went out and got him a puppy the next week and from then on he and the pup slept together on THEIR bed (and we didnt have to feel guilty about it...)-- funny we never did have to crate that pup she just slept through the night with him and followed his routine....
Charlotte has incontinence too, and sleeps in a diaper :3 We never have to deal with leaks these days.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Jax gained access to the bed when I began keeping him in my room with me at night as opposed to the kitchen or his crate. He got too destructive early on and now spends my work day crated, so I felt bad about crating him or confining him to the kitchen at night as well. So the solution was to bring him to my room to sleep. The cat used to sleep in the bed nightly up until that point, but even now, he has started to come back around. In any case, Jax doesn't go up the stairs except to sleep, and when he follows me up, he instantly goes for the bed. It's just me, so I've not objected, once I got him into the habit of settling down when coming upstairs. However, my fiance will be coming out for a month during the summer and it'll be rather interesting to see how that all works out, as he's begun sleeping in the bed all night. Initially, he'd go to the floor after a half hour or so. No longer, now he actually will curl up at the head of the bed on a pillow more often than not. I figure so long as he's calmed down and behaving himself, and it's a routine of only coming upstairs to sleep, it's pretty well controlled and fine by me.

·
Banned
964 Posts
No matter where I sleep ..My 2 faithfull dogs are always right beside me...(and sometimes my wife also...)
Zzzzzz....

·
Registered
717 Posts
Charlotte has incontinence too, and sleeps in a diaper :3 We never have to deal with leaks these days.
Layla did not take to the Diaper! We endured a silent heat before the Spay! She enjoyed shredding her diapers! If only she spoke English and I could explain to her Why the Diaper, sadly not to Be......

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'd love to have my dog Lola sleep with me each night, and although I have sometimes, I'm reluctant because she sheds quite a bit and my room is in the basement. Since it's in the basement the air circulation isn't as good and I like to keep it as fresh as possible. My boyfriend also gets puffy eyes and a stuffy nose if he gets in contact with dog hair too much, so unfortunately he doesn't like her on the bed or couch with us. But when he's not around I love to cuddle with her, and I'm going to look into putting another bed in my room for her, that way she can sleep with us but she won't be on our sheets.

·
Registered
591 Posts
MY Dr recently had me do a sleep study ( I am a horrible insomniac ) and one thing the Dr said is NO animals in bed !! HA like that will ever happen, I dont let my 3 dogs and 3 cats sleep with me, they let me sleep with them. Since I live in Alaska its nice to always be able to count on a 3 dog night to keep me warm !! Now if I could teach guapo and Lucifer to stop snoring and george ( the cat ) not to sleep on my head.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
I have issues sleeping well with all of the animals coming up on the bed, but I really love having them around. I woke up last night with One cat beside my head, the other one on my chest and the dog beside my legs with her head on my knees....oh and my DH beside me (his head on the other side of the cat by my head). I was awake in the middle of the night when I should have been sleeping. Was I cranky? NO I smiled myself back to sleep to the sound of purring and contented dog sighs :D

1 - 20 of 33 Posts