Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have a 7-year-old Boston Terrier who is a big ball of energy. For some reason, starting earlier this week, he just refuses to walk with me on his leash. He gets super excited to leave the apartment as always, but once we are out the front door of the building, he slooooows and tries to sniff everything. We make it about a half a block in one direction before he puts on the brakes and just lays down and watches the goings on around us. I can coax hm up and back in the other direction and it's the same thing.

It's puzzling because this is a new development. I'm getting close to my wits end because i want him to get his exercise. I am taking him out in the yard and playing with him to help make up for the lack of walking, but i really just want to take my dude out for a nice stroll like we used to do as recently as last week!

Today i made sure to be very conscious of my body language and just square my shoulders, keep my head up, and give an air of complete authority. Still, no progress.

Any thoughts would be extremely appreciated!!

THanks

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Since this is a sudden thing, I'd take him to the vet's for a checkup. He could have some pain in his legs or back, or some other problem making it hard to walk far. He's about the right age for arthritis to start.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
I had a Cocker do that when she was diagnosed with congestive heart failure. Get a vet check including complete blood workup, and ask that the heart be checked.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Might not even be medical ( but still see a vet just in case )
Im saying this because I use to be a dog walker, walked a 9 year old mutt for 1 1/2 years and suddenly he refused to walk only with me. It was embarrassing on my part.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts