Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I need some help! Monte is our older dog, not much older, we've had him for a year and he is probably around 14 months old. He has always been a very active dog with a ton of energy. We recently got Luna, she is bout 5 months old. She is a total snuggler and naturally pretty laid back...until she and Monte get together. He refuses to allow her to play with ANY toys. They can each have a toy and he will still try and take hers away (same with treats). He is also quite a bit rough with her. He is about 65 lbs and she is currently 15-20 lbs. He bites at her (not entirely closing his mouth) and sometimes grabs her by the skin on her neck. She doesn't seem to mind it too much and plays along (even tries to go back to him when we separate them or carry her) however you do hear the occasional squeal. Also we have been noticing she gets little bumps from the fighting. This generally happens early in the morning right when they wake up and any time when they get excited (someone gets home, new visitor, etc.). I cannot figure out how to teach Monte to be more gentle. He was never around other puppies and even with us did not properly learn bite inhibition (he pretty much nipped and bit until he turned about 10 months old). Any advice would help! I am just trying to ensure they both have a happy and safe life!

Thank you!!!!!

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Don't allow them to interact with toys and treats. At all. So if you want Monte and Luna to have toys, put one or both in their crate/expen/another room and then give out toys. Same thing with food, separate them, then feed, then give treats, then train with treats.

When they play, you need to supervise closely. If you can't supervise, don't allow them to play. The instant Monte gets the slightest bit rough with Luna, separate them. Let them calm down a little bit, then you can let them play again. You don't want to allow Monte to continue to be overly rough with Luna because (a) vet bills are expensive, and (b) she won't be as tolerant when she gets older, so if you don't set the tone of "too much ends the game" right now, you may well have a dog fight on your hands in 6 months to a year, and Luna will be seriously injured unless she gets a lot bigger quickly.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much. Just a quick follow up, how long should we do this for? Monte was a handful as a puppy and had started to calm down until we brought Luna home. I'm just concerned it's too late to train Monte properly. We are trying to fix the mistakes we made babying Monte with Luna this time around.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts