Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dog currently has an upper respiratory infection and he isn't eating or drinking much at all. I tried putting some Vita Gravy on top of his food, with little success. I'm concerned because he is supposed to take the antibiotic with food. I am thinking about switching him to canned dog food (i.e. Wellness) just to get some protein and moisture in him, but worried it would just give him an upset tummy. He's eaten about 1/2 cup over the last 3 days. He is 27 lbs. and on Taste of the Wild. Thanks for your suggestions.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Have you asked your vet for suggestions? What is his appetite normally like? If a Beagle (I am assuming from your avatar this is the dog in question) stops eating, I worry!

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Sassy stopped eating last year when she was on Baytril. Vet put her on Pepcid and it did the trick. Ask first! And ask about using a probiotic to repopulate the gut with good bacteria.

Water is more important than food. Flavor it with chicken stock maybe. Cook some rice with way too much water and see if he will take that. His tummy hurts, don't worry about food, worry about hydration.

I hasn't started green tripe back then. Wonder if canned green tripe soup would have been a winner? Oh, makes me gag just thinking about it! What I do for my little buddies!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts