Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we are visiting my parents for the second time with Bailey: our four month old puppy. He was quick to get comfortable both times we came into the house. He plays with my family dogs, interacts with family members, and drinks plenty of water. However, his appetite drops tremendously while we are here.

He ate about three mouthfuls of kibble all day today. So I put kibble in his kong with him, and he ate it (it's a medium sized one). He will also happily eat treats. But it's still not enough compared to a usual day. I'd just like to hear if there's anything else I should do. I'm wondering if I should get some wet dog food just for this visit so he eats something. Or if I should just stick to the kong for now. Any suggestions are appreciated, and happy holidays to everyone!

·
Registered
11,294 Posts
He may simply be too distracted to eat.

I would take a few minutes with him in a quiet part of the house away from other dogs and family. Put down his food and ignore him for 15 minutes.

Another option is to use the kibble as rewards all day (be careful about this when multiple dogs are loose together though if any chance of resource guarding or fighting over treats). Ask him to sit for a family member, reward. Call him to you, reward. Dole out food for good behavior all day to total up to a normal meal amount

1 - 2 of 2 Posts