Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just got what we think is a Pomeranian/Tibetan Spaniel mix from the shelter this past week- we took her home on Wednesday night.

Mostly things are going well, but I'm concerned about her eating habits. She rarely eats food put in front of her and if left out she may or may not eat any of it. Yesterday I think she probably had less than half a cup of food in total, when generally she's supposed to be eating about or a little more than one cup (she's 16 pounds). I'm not worrying about training her to eat it right when I set it down just yet, as we have a lot of other stuff we're working on, but it's starting to worry me...although she doesn't seem to lack in energy. We HAVE noticed that she will often eat kibbles that are scattered on the floor (we read that it's a good way to both feed and entertain), but she doesn't do that in a rush, either.

She has shown other symptoms that make me wonder if she's allergic to the food, or to something else, which is making her not want to eat. Nothing major and nothing consistent, but she often snores. She sometimes has a little bout of sort of half-sneezes or something in the mornings. I wouldn't say she scratches herself excessively but I have noticed her doing it throughout the day. And yesterday she vomited, although it's possible she ate something she shouldn't have in our backyard or that it was from when she got into some garbage the day prior.

In other words, lots of "that could be a sign" stuff that could also mean a lot of other things! Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions? The primary concern for me is whether she should be eating more and how to best make that happen.

Thanks!

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
bags of dog food recommend feeding way too much for most dogs. I feed my dog about half what the bag says, and he's full of pep and his weight is stable. That may just be what she needs.

Also, she's just settling in, so it may be a while before she feels comfortable eating.

What are you feeding her, as in the brand?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
That's a relief to hear, thank you so much Amaryllis!

I'm feeding her Science Diet (the brand my parents always fed their dog), but just the regular version for her size and age, no special 'focus' food, since we didn't really know if she would need something specialized when we bought it.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Science diet is recommended by vets, but it's crap. Companies like Purina and Hills spend a lot of money to turn veterinary school into an extended advertisement for their products. You want to switch her to something like Wellness Core, Wellness, Taste of the Wild, Blue, Blue Buffalo, Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul (Yes, that's the name of a food). You can't buy these at the grocery store or walmart, you have to go to a pet store, a feed store or shop online. They can be a bit expensive, but I have to tell you, I fed a dog Science Diet for years, then switched him to Wellness, and the difference in his coat, energy levels and arthritic joints really was amazing.

Please go to Dog Food Adviser to learn more.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
As for the amount, I think she's just self-regulating. Most dogs need less than what it says on the bag. . .my mom's dogs eat about a cup a day, and they weigh 35-40 pounds! So that much for a 16-pound dog just seems excessive. Don't pay too much attention to what it says on the bag; just feed whatever amount keeps her at a healthy weight.

I'd also recommend switching to a better food. Science Diet used to be one of the best on the market (about 30 years ago) but now there are dozens of really great foods available, and many of them even cost less than SD.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to both of you for the thoughts and recommendations, and Amaryllis, thank you for the WONDERFUL link. I'm doing some homework right now on which food(s) to try for Pixel. :)

·
Registered
149 Posts
My little guy is 16 lbs, and we haven't had him longer than 3 weeks. We were overfeeding him at first too. Just going by the bag. He seems to be doing well on a 1/4C two times a day. He thinks I'm trying to starve him-- he'd eat all day long if he could. But it's a good amount :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts