Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

My dog (who is almost 11) had a nose bleed out of one nostril yesterday, and after looking on the internet I am pretty worried.

She is a smaller dog (around 30-35 pounds) and she was sitting outside with me for a while in the newly cut grass, sniffing everything. She has bad springtime allergies. When she came inside she was begging for some of my dinner and then her nose started bleeding for about 30 seconds to a minute, and then it stopped and she was fine. There were a few small puddles on the floor. She hasn't acted any different since then, and it hasn't bled again.

My parents don't want to take her to the vet unless it happens agian, but after reading about it online it seems pretty serious. If it doesn't happen again is it safe to assume it was from a foreign matter from the grass?

Thanks,
Zack

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Was she sneezing while in the yard?

Tell your parents what you read about on the Internet and let them know that it is a serious symptom for a dog, not like a child with a bloody nose. I would be taking her to the vet.

It's never completely safe to assume...

·
Registered
223 Posts
I just did a quick google and this seems to ring close to what you just wrote........
If you call the vet you can get more advice and let them now that you think she likely has grass up her snout that caused the bledding. Good luck!!!

FOREIGN MATTER

Material in the nose automatically stimulates sneezing. Excessive sneezing and irritation will cause bleeding. It can be caused by a grass seed, a blade of grass or an insect or anything that the dog sniffs.

Allow a short time to see if the bleeding settles before going to the vet. Once the nose has started to bleed then the seed is well and truly up the nose causing allot of irritation and bleeding.

The vet may give the dog a general anaesthetic and examine the nasal cavity, soft palate and throat regions for a grass seed or any foreign matter and remove it. In the nasal cavity it is very difficult as the bleeding obscures the view and the sneezing sensation remains until the dog is fully anesthetized.

The effect of tranquilizers and anesthetics calm the sneezing and allow the seed to pass through the passages and eventually be swallowed in some cases. Others can lodge in a crypt or just in the soft palate area and start up an infection.

Once the irritation has passed the bleeding eases. Antibiotics may be given to prevent infection and antihistamines for the irritation.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice. I don't think she was sneezing, it just kind of happened a few minutes after she came inside. It looked like she was about to sneeze a few times but I thought that was just from the blood.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts