Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I adopted a dog about four months ago who is now about 14 months old. She's generally laid back but can be skittish if I'm doing something she's not familiar with or am carrying something she doesn't recognize, for example.

For the past several days, after she enters the house, she hunkers down like she did something wrong or as if I yelled at her or something. When I try to comfort her, she recoils and runs off, sometimes into her crate like she's scared of me. After several minutes, she'll be back to normal. She does this even when we enter the house together after tossing a ball outside where everything is fine.

Comforting her doesn't help and ignoring her doesn't help her either. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
70 Posts
as she is new in your home,everything is so unfamiliar to her,i think she needs some time to adapt to the new environment,you should be patient and friendly to her

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
Comforting her doesn't help and ignoring her doesn't help her either. Any thoughts?
You know we want to help our dogs through things, but sometimes the dog has to work through it themselves. Ignoring it and acting naturally in home when this silly stuff happens is the way that I would go. The important thing to keep in mind is that by acting natural even if it appears that it's not helping, it's not hurting. Trying to force/console or what ever else comes to mind could hurt.

Years ago when police departments 1st started importing trained dogs from Germany occasionally a problem would pop up as some of these well trained dogs took much longer to bond with handlers (a year sometimes) than they thought. Sometimes the best laid plans of mice and men and dogs go astray.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Just relax and let her deal with the bugs in her own head. As long as you don't push, she will find her way. It's okay if she is in a crate.

When I bring in a new dog or a foster, I usually crate them for a couple of weeks. That way, they can watch the movements in the house without having any pressure on them. I take the dogs out to exercise and play, but in the house, they mostly spectate for a few weeks. They can watch how the other dogs and I move and get a really good feel for us before they have to make any behavioral choices.

Ignoring is almost always the right thing to do if a situation doesn't call for praise.

Be patient. And as a newcomer, here's a friendly tip: always listen to wvasko.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts