Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

I've never really had this problem before! Usually our dogs are named within a day or so of coming home - and in the case of a couple of them before they were even born!

We have had our little Italian Greyhound for a couple of weeks now and nothing has really stuck as far as naming. We have so far tried Aurora and Piper but neither of them work.

She is a rescue girl - was bred at a puppy mill, purchased at a petstore, then turned into rescue when the people got a divorce and both moved to different states.

As far as personality traits go she is: Neurotic, Flighty, Clingy, Vain, Determined, Bratty, Manipulative, Daring, Charming, an Opportunist, and quite convinced that the universe really does revolve around her.

She is a bag of contrary and often conflicting emotions and we love her dearly for it but it is making it very hard to name her!

I'd appreciate any suggestions! it is driving me nuts calling her "the little one" or "The Iggy" - she needs a name all her own!

Aurora.JPG

Bea & Co

·
Registered
294 Posts
Try thinking outside the box. A lot of people having trouble naming their dogs generally only seem to try typical "dog" names. Not sure how you feel about it, but how about a more human name. TARA comes to mind for her for some reason. She just looks like a Tara lol.

Very cute btw!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All of our dogs have more "human" names so that doesn't bother me! We have a Kaylee, an Isabelle, a Chester, and a Nigel.
I like Tara but unfortunately it's the husbands sisters name and we try and stay away from using the names of family members!

Bea & Co

·
Registered
246 Posts
As far as personality traits go she is: Neurotic, Flighty, Clingy, Vain, Determined, Bratty, Manipulative, Daring, Charming, an Opportunist, and quite convinced that the universe really does revolve around her.

She is a bag of contrary and often conflicting emotions and we love her dearly for it but it is making it very hard to name her!
She sounds like a Sarah to me :p

·
Registered
871 Posts
She kind of looks like a little deer to me....how about bambi? I also like fiona and Ellie? She looks so girly. I chose my dogs names for meaning, and one I named off my fave Tv show. How about karis or Charis...means gods gift.

·
Registered
329 Posts
What are your interests and hobbies? Sometimes those give clues to names. For example, when I was in my 20s I named my two puppies Sambuca and Bailey.

Neurotic, Flighty, Clingy, Vain, Determined, Bratty, Manipulative, Daring, Charming, an Opportunist, and quite convinced that the universe really does revolve around her.
How about Spice Girl?

·
Registered
259 Posts
My fiance found a kitten on her college campus a few years back and brought it home to me. We bounced a few ideas around for the day before suddenly, jokingly, she suggested "Sparkplug" and I loved it. She was found with a sibling tucked up under the front of a car, so it fit. I passed her on to my grandparents after I graduated and had various army training all over for a year, so I got another when I settled somewhere. Keeping with the car theme, and somehow seeming fitting to me as he's orange, I named this one Turbo. A few months back, where I know live, I took in a stray that started to take to me much more than the others in the neighborhood. Again, keeping with the car theme, and being that she was so gorgeously sleek looking, Kim suggested "Saleen" for the sportscar brand (I've been wanting a "Lugnut" though it didn't seem to fit this one, and Kim has adamently tried to avoid that name).

For the dog I picked up after the first of the year, his name was far too fitting already. I spent a majority of my childhood years living in and around Jacksonville, FL and am still to this day a big Jacksonville Jaguars fan, so being that his name already was Jax, it fit perfectly (and again, helped Kim avoid letting me name a pet "Lugnut").

Just think about things you like, and perhaps how it somehow can be related to your gorgeous new friend. Something will suddenly seem right.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Other diva names:

Whitney
Mariah
Beyonce
Cher
Gaga
Katie
Rhianna

You get the idea. Paris is great, too.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I scrolled to the picture and the first name that came to mind was Rochelle.

Second was Roxy.

Third was Twiggy... apparently my thoughts are influenced by the long limbs lol.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
" Whirlwind " ... so many traits it makes your head spin ... " Spinner " ... " Whirlybird" ... " Windy " ... " Windspinner " ... for non - human names :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi Everyone,

Thank you all very much for the suggestions! Husband named her last night after watching me be insane going around looking at baby naming websites. Her name is Michaela, though neither of us liked Mickey as a nick name and Kayla is just too close to Kaylee (one of our other dogs) so her nickname is going to be Mia !

Bea

·
Registered
329 Posts
Mia Michaela is a great name!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts