Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first post and first of all would like to say hello to all....
Now on to the subject at hand.
My young man{scout} is an approx 5-6 yr old black cocker mix whos usual weight is around 19 lbs. He was inbetween haircuts so several weeks ago i did some trimming on my own and noticed weight loss.
Then 2 weeks ago i took him to the vet to see what was up,she suggested we do a CBC[complete blood count]which all levels turned out normal.
His weight was 16.9 btw.
I have been giving him a mix of dry/wet food as well as boiled chicken/rice which he seems to prefer to pick out.
He was a pound rescue and has always had anxiety issues and picky eater issues and around 12 weeks ago i did rescue another dog[stray]whose presence in the house im betting has something to do with this.
So i guess this is possible for this to be a mental isssue instead of a physical health issue?
Thank you....

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
What are you feeding and how much?
Any chance the other dog is eating his food?
Is he playing a lot with the other dog and burning more calories?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What are you feeding and how much?
Any chance the other dog is eating his food?
Is he playing a lot with the other dog and burning more calories?
Right now he is eating Iams mixed with beneful wet food and boiled chicken as far as the amount of dry food goes it varies. Hes always been a picky eater or a snacker as i like to call it.
I keep food in his bowl 24/7 so the other dogs eating it isnt a issue.
He/they usually get a 20-30 min walk around the lake every day as well as what ever play time in the back yard.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
It might also help to put him on a routine, feed a set amount once or twice a day, 20 minutes and the food gets removed, nothing till the next mealtime. That will get him eating what he's given (and not just picking out the chicken), and let you know quickly if he's not eating his usual amount or not. If he's just eating boiled chicken it's not balanced, that could be an issue, if he's not eating his usual amount, that could also be an issue.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts