Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
Brand new to the site and hoping to get some feedback! I have a 7 month old pit bull mix. A few weeks ago I noticed he was limping slightly on his front left paw. He only limps noticeably when walking very slowly. He still puts all his weight on it and no part of the leg, paw, shoulder,knee is sensitive to touch. I took him to the vet and she didn't notce anything of concern and said to monitor him for 2 weeks and take it easy. The limp has never gotten worse. During the rest he seemed to be doing better so I took him for a walk in the neighborhood. When we got home he wa beat and again started noticing the limp. Since he can be energetic and jumping/falling all the time I wonder if he just sprained something and it's taking awhile to heal. A friend who is a vet tech said it could even be growing pain since he's so young but a bigger dog (61 lbs). Anyone have any experience or feedback here? Much much appreciated!

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
I'd take him to the vet, or another vet. It could be nothing, but dogs tend to hide pain and pit bulls are the worst for that. He might not be tender to the touch, but youre probably not putting the same pressure as his whole body weight, either.

·
Banned
158 Posts
Puppies often strain muscles during play, because they are still figuring out their growing bodies, and the limits of their muscles. Usually it is nothing to worry about, but if your dog has been limping for more than 3 days, I would go to the vet. It shouldn't take that long to improve if it is just a simple sprain.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Not saying this is it.... but more to reassure you if it continues.

Our older dog is now almost 7 and he has ALWAYS had a bit of a limp. It's not always evident though. Sometimes I notice it when he's slowly walking around the backyard looking for a place to go and sometimes I notice it when he's in a trot. When he's full-on sprint, it doesn't happen. He's never been sensitive to the touch. I am convinced that when we first got him (the DAY we picked him up) we were waiting for the elevator in our condo and people came off and my wife backed up and stepped on him ever-so-slightly. Other than that (that I know of) he's never been stepped on. It could also be him being too active as a puppy and hurting himself. Who knows? Point is, he's always had it and it's never gotten worse and never really stopped him from moving around. We've brought it up to the 2-3 various vets he has been to in his lifetime (we changed vets once and moved once)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts