Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have lots of flowers and shrubs surrounded by mulch and Chance always grabs mulch and chews it into little pieces. I don't think she tries to eat it but I am a little worried she might someday and could choke on it. Do you think it's a realistic choking hazard? I could put 1 1/2 foot high fencing that I've seen some people have to keep the dogs out. It would be a lot of work and I think it does detract from the beauty of the landscaping though.

·
Registered
36 Posts
My two pups LOVE to chew mulch. They have been doing it since we got them in the fall. THey even would dig to find it under the snow and chew on it. They eat it and have never choked on it. I finally just gave up and now let them eat it. The only thing I do know is that it is very dangerous if they eat the chocolate mulch. It actually has cocoa in it and can kill them.
As far as choking...I wouldn't be worried too much, just try to supervise when he does it.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My two pups LOVE to chew mulch. They have been doing it since we got them in the fall. THey even would dig to find it under the snow and chew on it. They eat it and have never choked on it. I finally just gave up and now let them eat it. The only thing I do know is that it is very dangerous if they eat the chocolate mulch. It actually has cocoa in it and can kill them.
As far as choking...I wouldn't be worried too much, just try to supervise when he does it.
Thanks. I'm not that worried about it. I think I'm going to learn the doggy Heimlich just as a backup. It's probably a good thing to know anyway.

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
The concern I would have is not the choking as much as a blockage. If the stuff gets stuck on the way thru, the surgery to the stomach and/or intestines can be a very impressive amount of money.. and the dog can still die as an outcome.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The concern I would have is not the choking as much as a blockage. If the stuff gets stuck on the way thru, the surgery to the stomach and/or intestines can be a very impressive amount of money.. and the dog can still die as an outcome.
Now that the mulch is a little older, the dogs seem to be less obsessed with it. They still do pick it up occasionally though. How would this plan sound? From now on, when they pick up the mulch, I could say "No mulch" and take it away and give them something safer to chew on? I'll make sure I always supervise when they're in the yard.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts