Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been 2 nights already without a good night sleep. Buddy Bear has apparently gotten this habit where he'll wake up at random times and licks himself around his groin area. I looked at him this morning and their are no rashes, spots or anything that doesn't look normal. I don't think anything is wrong with him either health wise as he's been to the vet already this month but for something else (weight gain)
I'm thinking about applying bitter spray but don't know if it's safe for his groin area.
I know someone who has a cone that'll fit him.
Would a male wrap be worth a try?

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Does he sleep on the bed with you? The simplest way to get him to stop is to physically stop him. Put your hand in the way, tell him no. Eventually he'll get the idea and stop (provided there are no medical reasons for the licking). Our dogs know know when we say "that's enough" they stop licking.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He actually doesn't sleep on the bed with me. The thought of getting up anywhere between 11PM to 4AM seems impossible. I will try to stop him from my bed but I might not be successful. My other dog takes about 15 minutes to lick himself and falls asleep but he doesn't wake up in the middle of the night to do it. Buddy Bear wasn't even much of a licker at all and now he's waking up in the middle of the night to do it which is driving me insane.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Repetitive licking can manifest for many reasons, including stress. Is the area black skin? If it is you may not see irritation so easily and bacterial and fungal skin growth is not always evident. Is he neutered? If not, the area can stay more moist than usual and skin irritation with non visible bacterial/fungus growths can be more common.

If it turns out to be habitual licking the best thing is diversion that is relaxing to the dog. A raw meaty bone to gnaw at bed time once a week, a kong filled with yogurt (freeze it during the day and offer it at bad time) or a kong filled with peanut butter offered at bed time. Sometimes combining these diversions with a little ORIGINAL (bitter) Listerine on the area can help.

If it goes on to the point where the dog starts to make the skin raw then you may need to try medication or other methods and bring in a good vet.

It could be allergies to something. Dogs do not typically show allergies the same way as people do. We sneeze and cough and show upper respiratory distress in the face of airborn allergens. Dogs get itchy skin instead.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He is actually a light brown dog so no black skin. I will take him to the vet if he likcs himself raw. Last night before bed I stopped him when he licked himself a good couple of times. I don't know if he woke up to lick himself in the middle of the night. I didn't hear anything but I might have just been too sleepy. But I'll try it again to stop him before bed time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts