Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My rat terrier, just will not lay down, well he does in someplaces. In my bed he will, and on the bathroom mat he will. But as soon as I try to get him to do it on the tile, he either has his butt down or his front paws down but refuses to do both on my wood floors. Every time i try he either lifts his butt up or his front paws. Thanks.

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
He may not like the feel of hard cold surfaces IMO. I had a tiny 12 pound terrier mix 55 years ago who would refuse to lay down or even sit on a wet surface. In fact we lost first place in a mutt obedience trial when he was about 6 years old .... because it had rained and when I asked him to sit ... he complied but his butt was an inch off the pavement. :) We did however get second place! :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He may not like the feel of hard cold surfaces IMO. I had a tiny 12 pound terrier mix 55 years ago who would refuse to lay down or even sit on a wet surface. In fact we lost first place in a mutt obedience trial when he was about 6 years old .... because it had rained and when I asked him to sit ... he complied but his butt was an inch off the pavement. :) We did however get second place! :)
hahaha, well 2nd place isnt too bad. But yeah i think its just the cold floors.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
Yes, surfaces can play a part in a dog's reluctance to down. Keep in mind that it's usually a cold, hard, SLIPPERY surface, and some dogs may feel ill-at-ease with regards to a possible hasty escape if need be. In these cases, there is sometimes an element of 'handler trust' that may need to be addressed as well.

On the subject of reluctance on wet surfaces ... I remember a team who took an outdoor HIT one rainy day, because virtually all of the other dogs wouldn't completely sit at halts. So, it really pays to proof for ALL conditions, and ALL surfaces, including wet grass.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Gotta love short-haired chilly dogs :p My terrier mix refuses to lay on any cold surfaces, heck usually she just flat out avoids cold floors, most of the time she'll hop from carpet to carpet!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts