Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
I just recently got a German Shepherd puppy and have started building a fence in a portion of my back yard for us to play in. It's a good sized space, about 25x25. I have already cleared the area of debris and it's almost puppy ready.

My question is does anyone know a breed of grass that is... Dog resistant? I have seen so many pet owners with barren wastelands for yards and I don't want a dirt yard. I want something that will be resistant to being trampled, urinated and defecated upon (although the poo will be removed anyway) and preferably something thick that will cushion a fall from me or the puppy.

I know it sounds like I am looking for a lot, but really I am just looking for something that will stand up to abuse and stay green without having to pump a lot of chemicals onto where me and my best pal will play.

·
Registered
60 Posts
when I was a kid we had saint augustine I had a gsd it held up good Now that I have a home I have a mixture of grass that was hydroseeded it's tall fescue,dwarf fescue and kentucky blue grass it's held up good with 2 rotts and a husky

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
There are a lot of really tough, attractive ground-covering type plants that happen to not be grass out there. I would ask a nursery or browse through their online catalog to see if you like any of them.

ETA: I know some landscapers around here specialize in dog-friendly/dog-resistant yards. Maybe you can find one in your area.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
There's also the stuff you can put in the dog's water that makes its urine not kill the grass. Haven't tried it, and don't know if it works, but it might be worth a try. In fact, I might get some myself, because this morning hubby was complaining about a dead patch of grass where my puppy likes to pee.

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
My understanding is that it's the high concentration of nitrogen compounds in urine that burns the grass rather than the pH -- like using too much fertilizer. Liberally watering the spots after your dog urinates usually takes care of the burned-out spots.

ETA: Although in my yard, it's the running around and such that's way harder on the lawn than urine. I finally gave up and just mulched one whole side of the yard. :p

·
Registered
394 Posts
The type of grass that will do well in your yard will also depend on the area of the country you live in, so I'd suggest talking with your local nursery. Bermuda does the best here in OK, but doesn't hold up to urine. I used to water down the area when they finished, but that got old, so now I have an area on the side of my house that I use mulch and grass clippings in.

·
Banned
7,725 Posts
My understanding is that it's the high concentration of nitrogen compounds in urine that burns the grass rather than the pH -- like using too much fertilizer. Liberally watering the spots after your dog urinates usually takes care of the burned-out spots.

ETA: Although in my yard, it's the running around and such that's way harder on the lawn than urine. I finally gave up and just mulched one whole side of the yard. :p
This is my problem too- running/trampling the grass. So I'm following this thread in hopes of finding something greener than mulch for my poor backyard.

·
Super Moderator
11,511 Posts
2+ years old and resurrected by a spammer, who is no longer with us.

Might wanna start a new thread, Djetzel, though it will almost certainly draw out some new spammers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.