Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sooo, this came up in my FB newsfeed.

I love it. It's adorable. I get the joke and I think it's awesome...but then in the back of my mind, all I could think about is that newscaster that got bit for kissing a strange dog. All I have to go on is the picture so I can't really jump to conclusions about how the dogs were handled and what safety precautions were taken, but I feel like these people are very very lucky a dog didn't get spooked and completely undo the message they were trying to get across.

·
Registered
20 Posts
If I saw that booth I would totally go and kiss all those pitbulls!
But yes, I do agree that without the proper precautions and safety measures, this could end up a nightmare....

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
while i get what you are saying.

But this is a dog event, with dog people. the guy from the news report is a idiot, and cant read his own dog (nore contain it) the dogs above are probably very socialized to crowds and the like, while the dog from the news report clearly was un comfortable the whole time, not socialized for such situations.. I think its a very different situation.

·
Registered
11,348 Posts
I love it. It's adorable. I get the joke and I think it's awesome...but then in the back of my mind, all I could think about is that newscaster that got bit for kissing a strange dog. All I have to go on is the picture so I can't really jump to conclusions about how the dogs were handled and what safety precautions were taken, but I feel like these people are very very lucky a dog didn't get spooked and completely undo the message they were trying to get across.
For one- the newscaster that got bit was being an idiot, the dog was clearly uncomfortable and had just the day before been in a super stressful rescue and was now in a stressful situation, the dog was NOT there with the plan to give kisses and the dog also wasn't a Pit Bull.

Doggie kissing booths like this one choose super people friendly dogs that are happy to be there, love the attention and are well socialized and adjusted to this kind of atmosphere. We have a few dog events in my city that have had dog kissing booths and contests for years without any incident at all or even the hint of one (like a dog growling as warning). My foster Luna was love a booth like that, she thinks the greatest thing in the world is trying to lick your face (and hands, and ears, and arms, you get the idea). Typically they have the person stand near the dog and the dog initiates the face licking (very enthusiastically)
It isn't "luck' that prevents any problems, its planning and training and dogs that love people.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did consider that too Tankstar. I just thought that even the most well-socialized dogs with a string of people coming up and shoving their faces in theirs could get stressy and snap at someone. I still think it's adorable and I'd go kiss all those pitbulls myself :p I'd never want to be the organizer behind something like this though.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the dog was NOT there with the plan to give kisses and the dog also wasn't a Pit Bull.
What does the dog's breed have to do with it?

Typically they have the person stand near the dog and the dog initiates the face licking (very enthusiastically)
That makes sense. I guess as long as the interactions are guided by the owner. I do agree with you that the newscast thing was a bit different. This just seemed like a situation that would be difficult to control. They had kids up there and I was just imagining a bouncy kid like my 7yo bolting up and doing something stupid.....or even just a grownup who thinks they're Cesar Milan going up and whispering their way into the ER :p

·
Registered
11,348 Posts
What does the dog's breed have to do with it?

That makes sense. I guess as long as the interactions are guided by the owner. I do agree with you that the newscast thing was a bit different. This just seemed like a situation that would be difficult to control. They had kids up there and I was just imagining a bouncy kid like my 7yo bolting up and doing something stupid.....or even just a grownup who thinks they're Cesar Milan going up and whispering their way into the ER :p
The dog's breed matters because every single time a blocky-headed dog bites someone, the media calls it a "pit bull" so its important to point out that is was not a "pit bull" (it was a Dogo Argentino). I've seen Boxers, Mastiffs, Lab mixes, Dogos, Cane Corsos, etc all labelled as Pits.
Edit to add: I'm not saying that YOU called the news dog a Pit, simply clarifying it in relationship to the photo.

As for kids running up etc, like I said about selecting for dogs that don't mind that kind of thing. Chester has had kids in the park run up to him and bear hug him, stick their face in his face, shove a hand in his mouth, try to climb on him like a pony, crowd around him while he is sitting or laying down, scream (happily) at him, and more. He loves the attention (anything rude or too harsh on him is quickly stopped) and will do nothing more then lick or stand there with his mouth open. That's the kind of dog they pick for these things.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I have seen this sort of thing set up locally and it doesn't sit well with me. Encouraging people to put their face in a strange dog's face seems really dumb to me, no matter how friendly the dog is.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The dog's breed matters because every single time a blocky-headed dog bites someone, the media calls it a "pit bull" so its important to point out that is was not a "pit bull" (it was a Dogo Argentino). I've seen Boxers, Mastiffs, Lab mixes, Dogos, Cane Corsos, etc all labelled as Pits.
I guess I meant for the purpose of this conversation. I don't see any media in here. I didn't call the news dog a pitbull. I didn't think it was a pitbull. Only the pitbulls from the pitbull kissing booth are pitbulls in this discussion, but that's not in any way what makes me apprehensive about the kissing booth. It's that they're dogs and dogs can be unpredictable. One kid running up in a park isn't the same as a string of people coming up at an event. I'm not saying that some dogs wouldn't be perfectly suited to this and really enjoy it and have a great time. I am saying that some dogs can surprise us when we test them by giving them lots and lots and lots of opportunity to mess up in what could be a stressful situation.

·
Registered
11,348 Posts
If you look again, you'll see that (before you posted) I edited it note that I was not saying you called the news dog a Pit. And since we don't know who is reading this conversation, for the benefit of anyone that didn't know the incident you were referencing, I wanted to clarify.

I'm not arguing for or against a dog kissing booth, I am only pointing out that it isn't "luck" that keeps them from having problems and that with the right dogs, it is very safe.

When I used the example of kids running up to Chester in the park, it has varied from one kid to 8 or 9 children at once. He's happily gone through a crowd of people with dozens of them petting him, bending down to his level and getting attention for an hour straight or more. A kissing booth with one person at a time coming up would be no more stressful.

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
I'm not 100% behind this kind of thing because it only takes one bite to turn it into a disaster, but having said that there are several things about this particular set-up that looks like someone at least put some thought into it. First, the dogs are in what looks like a pickup truck bed, so they're high enough off the ground that no one will be bending over them and little kids (and probably a lot of adults) aren't going to be able to just run up and get their faces in the dogs' faces. Second, there are multiple dogs, so no one dog is going to do all of the work. Third, the "kissing booth" is set back and angled in their exhibit space, which hopefully means that people will line up in the aisle and be taken to the actual dogs one at a time. So yea, although I'm not a huge fan of the concept, it looks like someone is at least trying to do it thoughtfully.

·
Registered
184 Posts
For me, it doesn't matter how well thought out it is or how friendly the dogs are. It is irresponsible to encourage people to think it is appropriate to put their face in a strange dog's face and extremely irresponsible to encourage children to think that way.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
I'm sure they wouldn't pick a dog who wasn't all about face kissing for a kissing booth :p. I'm not sure it sets a good precedence, either, but I think the immediate risk (for dogs and humans) is minimal. But ewww.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts