Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have a 4 year old 80 lb. Male border collie / lab / german shepherd mix named Solomon. and a 2 year old 40 lb. Female border collie / lab mix named Bixby.

We have had Solomon since he was a pup, and Bixby for about a year. They get along great but play a little aggressively. They both neck bite which isn't a huge deal to me because I know they are just playing. But, Bixby (the smaller dog) likes to chase Solomon and bite his ankles and bite his ears. Solomon is a very passive dog and doesn't really get angry until he really gets hurt. Bixby is constantly trying to dominate but Solomon puts her in her place if it gets to be too much for him (not in an aggressive way, he is just a lot bigger and can pin her down.

Solomon gets sores and cuts in his ears and on his ankles from her biting them which ends up turning into a problem because he licks his sores on his legs and the last sore he got in his ear led to an ear infection, and I do not know what to do. I try to catch it and tell Bixby to stop but 30 seconds later she's back to doing it again. We have a big back yard and I like to let them both run around and play without me supervising, but I tend not to do that as much because of Bixby's behavior.

What should I do? I have tried to find information on this, but all i've found is information about puppies biting other dogs ears which is apparently semi-normal behavior. It is not normal behavior for a 2 year old dog.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Try interrupting the play when you see it going a way you dislike. Call them to the kitchen to help you make a snack or ask for a short down stay. Just a minute or so is enough. I did that when my two were getting acquainted and while he still bounces on her he knows to stop now and best of all she isn't freaked out by his rude behavior.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts