Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Dog just tested positive for Parvo - Help

4K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  terrilabar 
#1 ·
I'm new to being a puppy mom and especially new to caring for a sick puppy.

I rescued Porter, a husky/shephard mix on tuesday and today he threw up, had horrible diarreah, wouldnt eat or drink and was completely inactive. I took him to the vet and once we got there he perked up a bit and was crying and the vet gave him a treat which he ate and he went crazy and they gave him some food which he couldnt eat fast enough. The vet said because of this behavior he probably didnt have Parvo. Well he was wrong and Porter tested positive.

The vet told me to clean every area he has had access to with bleach and to feed him a special food that was given to me and to give him antibiotics twice a day. He told me that if he threw up tonight to bring him back in the morning.

We got home and he ate all the food that was in his bowl from this morning and has been drinking water regularly. I have also successfully given him his medicine.

I have been reading many articles about this virus and I am scared beyond belief. Although the vet said he seems to have a good ammune system (he has already had one round of vaccination for the parvo virus that was given at the shelter he was adopted from) that is fighting this pretty rapidly I am still scared. Please give me some tips and advice for caring for my little guy at home.

See less See more
#2 ·
There's not much to be done for Parvo other than supportive care and hoping that the puppy's immune system is strong enough to fight it off. How old is Porter? It is possible that he picked the parvo up from the rescue.. you may want to contact them and let them know he has tested positive. If they had any other puppies there recently they may be able to do more to help them or prevent future puppies from getting sick too.

#4 ·
Well, 11 weeks old gives him a better chance than most of the puppies we've seen with parvo. The older the better.. If he should stop drinking or is throwing up or having runny poo a lot you will want to watch for dehydration. They go down hill really fast if they get dehydrated. You can always take him to the vet for IV fluids if this happens, some vets will even show you how to do it and allow you to take them home with the IV. Good luck! Praying for Porter that he can fight it off!

#5 ·
Parvo can be very scary and pups can turn quickly, so ensuring he is getting nutrition and fluids/electrolytes is half the battle. If he becomes lethargic or anorexic or cannot keep food down you need to get him back to the vet ASAP. He may have a decent immune system since it hasn't knocked him flat and this is a good indicator he will be able to recover. When in doubt, take him in. Don't hesitate.

Please let us know how things go with Porter.

#6 ·
We had a dog come to our Obedience Class that they took the the Vet the next day because he threw up and he had Parvo. He had been at daycare that day but luckily none of their dogs or the ones at obedience got sick. He was a little older and had had all his shots so pulled through alright. Hope your puppy is okay, it helps that he has had at least one shot.

#7 ·
Thank you all for your words of encouragement.
Today is day 2. Porter woke up and was playful and active. He didnt throw up last night so he kept his antibiotic and food down. He had some diarreah this morning but otherwise has ate and is drinking regularly.
Now, I am off to disinfect the house. I will keep you posted on his progress.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.