Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, our little Penny just got back from the vet. They said she needs to wear the cone for 2 weeks and be outside as little as possible. The thing is, when me and my sister are at school, she stays outside, thats the way its always been. We dont know what to do for these 2 weeks though, because she is going to have be home alone for about 5 hours 2 days a week, and 3 hours 2 days a week.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Can you buy a crate and crate her when you are not home?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help.

We decided we trust her house training enough to leave her in the kitchen/laundry room while were gone.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Mastamuffin- My dog got neutered a week and a half ago. He HATED the cone. I left it on for 4 days, then would take it off if I could supervise him to make sure he didn't lick. After another day, I kept it off. He has been very good about not licking and it is healing well.

I also had a female Cocker that I got spayed a number of years ago. The vet didn't give me a cone. She didn't seem to try to mess w/the incision, and it healed fine.

Just thought I'd tell you about them, since that cone made my dog SOO miserable. I'd leave the cone on when you aren't there, but, if it ends up bothering her, maybe consider removing it if you can supervise. Two weeks is a long time.

With that said, you can never go wrong following your vet's advice, and if she tolerates the cone, then leave it. I just couldn't take seeing my dog so miserable, with the cone.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea, our dog seems to dislike the cone too. So far its been off because there has always been someone home to watch her carefully, she doesnt seem to be messing with it, but the cone will go on when no one is home.

Im going to try and get her used to the cone somewhat, because right now when its on, she drags a little of it on the ground, but that might have been because she was still under the anesthesia.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I recomend a crate. It really encourges inactivity and "quiet time."
And if you do have to take the cone off do your best to have someone watching to make sure she does not chew the stiches. A little bitter tasting balm might help (ask your vet to be sure it does not cause a problem near the wound). I never used a cone or balm, maybe just lucky that she only went to lick the would a few times, and I was there to stop her. At least for a few days, then I had to work and crated her and all was OK.
My vet said limted activity for 7-10 days.. you might want to ask your vet why its two weeks. In my case (a healthy 2 year old), she was back to normal inside a week and pretty much would not be contained. I kept her on a leash but did get back to an almost normal activity before the ten days had passed.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the advice!

The new issue is the cone now. We put it on her last evening, and she WILL NOT MOVE. She is still as a statute and will stand for 15 min then start to cry. She will walk if u lift up her cone and walk with her. Its really really frusterating and hard to watch her like this. I have no idea what to do. I made something like this: http://www.bitenot.com/ and mine is 4 inches tall. Would that work?

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Could the cone be too big for her? Did they try a couple of sizes? Most dogs don't have a problem with cones. I know I had a cat that couldn't handle it, he would fall over. LOL The Bitenot is great, we offer something very similar at my vets. As long as she can't bend it to lick she should be fine. Check your pet stores to see if they have it available.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The cone is the one that the vet put on her after the surgery.

Here is my home made version of the bitenot, its about 4.5'' tall.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Good job!! As long as she can't bend to lick herself it will be fine. Possibly she's not going to need it after a few days anyways. ((cross fingers))

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
She tried licking herself after going pee, but she couldn't reach that, so her tummy area should be safe. Is it ok to give her walks with the stitches?
Thanks for the compliment!

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
You're suppose to keep them quiet at least a week, sometimes that's hard to do with certain breeds. A short, gentle, quiet walk would probably be okay at her own pace of course. No jumping, running or rough housing you don't want her to exert herself in anyway.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts