Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2 year old female mutt (dutch shepherd mix I think), is aggressive when she meets new dogs that are her size or bigger. She is good with small dogs, she greets them gently, then loses interest in them quickly and goes about her business. She is about 50 lbs and she is very forward with dogs of her size or larger. She cries at them when she sees them and and pulls to say "hi", but when she gets right up to a dog she has never met before, her tail goes up, the scruff on her neck and when her head is over their shoulders, she does this pounce and growl move and wants to engage the dog in some kind of I am not sure what.
Once she knows a dog, she is fine with them, she has many large dogs in my building, which she plays well with and doesn't jump on them, but this initial greeting with dogs is just bad and sometimes can lead to a problem where the other dog will attack her, which I understand. I never let her off the leash in the park, but sometimes other dogs are off the leash and they run up to her, I just dunno what to do in order to redirect her before it happens? I think I should also mention that she is a female that lifts her leg like a male dog to urinate and marks her territory many times when we are outside (not in the house tho). I love her to death, but I want to know what I can do in these situations. Advice please!

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
You can redirect the behaviour and train in a new sequence. This means you must be really aware of your dog's signals. You need to be able to redirect her BEFORE the head over the shoulder happens. Leash greetings are hard even on well socialized dogs...they need to be managed properly.
Work on a sit. A lot. Have the dog SIT before greeting ANYONE. Then let her approach, if she shows ANY sign of her usual routine, say "okay, that's enough" and WALK AWAY with her, have her sit again. Stay there for a bit if you like or move on for the rest of the walk. Reward ALL good behaviour.
There is no need to correct aside from removing her from the situation.
You should also think about getting in a trainer to show you how to teach your pup some "doggy manners" that involve calming signals and proper greeting behaviour (quick nose sniff, then curve around to bum sniff).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts