Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just rehome my dog a week ago because of my busy schedule, within a week after, the new owner surrender my dog because of barking problem which when she live with me she doesn't have any issue on barking, anyways I got a call from animal shelter because of her microchip, to confirm about my dog, so I question them why the new owner decided to surrender her instead of contacting me personally, they stated they can't tell me why, then I ask them that I will take her back if I knew he going to surrender her because she a good dog. My questions is will there be a fee of reclaiming my dog? If you were in my situation, will you take your dog back?

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
There will likely be a fee since you are re-adopting a dog. However, depending on the rescue they very well might not adopt to you again, knowing you didn't keep the dog.

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
Whether or not there will be a fee is a question for the shelter, not internet strangers. However, since the dog was ID'd under your ownership, it's possible that you may only have to pay impound fees, and not a full adoption fee.

Whether or not I would go get him? Absolutely.

·
Registered
8,384 Posts
there is a fee ... and I would not share the drama of how your dog got there ,, that it's no longer your dog since you are no longer the owner of the dog and would have no rights to get that dog out of the shelter. You can't trust the fate of your dogs life once that dog is out of your care. You can't always trust other people who will tell you want you want to hear so they can get what they want from you. At least they brought it to a pound instead of just driving to an isolated area and kicking the dog out to fend for it's self.

hope you be able to get them back and work out what your feel your dog needs from you. Dogs don't need a whole of fancy stuff... They need the one person that will do their best to keep them safe for the rest of their life and have their back when times get tough.

adding
if you don't want your dog back then leave your dog there in hopes they will screen for the right person and be a shelter that has a system to keep track of them that they are in the right place.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Yes, you should definitely go get your dog. You are absolutely right. It's only been a week. It is standard practice for responsible breeders to take back puppies no questions asked if the new owner cannot keep them. I would be violating a legal contract if I wanted my pastor to rehome my dog if I died instead of the woman I bought her from, even if that woman was lying about my dog's breeds and even though it was only an oral contract.

The people at the shelter have no way of knowing that you did not rehome your dog with that same standard contract. You will probably have to pay a fee. You will feel horrible about whatever happened to her, even if the people you trusted just stressed her out and she is fine. You will still have the same problems and you will still have to find her a home that gives her the time she deserves to settle in and the love and attention she deserves for the rest of her life.

It sucks. I'm sorry this happened to you and your dog. I wish you didn't have to do it, but she's your DOG.

Maybe a pawn shop or a trusted friend if the fee is seriously going to cause hardship? A coin or stamp collection from your childhood? I won't judge you and who cares about anyone who would; things are just things but your dog is your DOG.

Go get her. Don't worry about what people who aren't dog people think. Come back and ask us more questions. Maybe we can help you find the right home for her next time even if we don't have the power to keep you and your dog together forever. Your dog is your dog. She's worth it and so are you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts