Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I used my macbook webcam to record my puppy while I was gone. I came back and saw some shocking footage. I see my dog actually trying to bite through my wire crate and I noticed that this left some blood/dark saliva stains on the carpet.

How do I prevent future behavior like this when I am gone? She did this after we had a 30 minute run at a rather brisk pace (lots of sprinting) too. I'm worried she'll hurt her mouth/paws and her getting free would probably have her wreck some stuff and do something that could be very bad?

The wires are at the bottom of the crate, should I try to put a towel there or something to prevent her from doing that or something? I dunno, it's freaky.

i tried making the crate a place of rest today by keeping the door open and surprisingly, she stayed in it without me having to 'lock it.' should i keep the crate door locked during the night or should i keep it open? i worry she'll wake up before me and wake me up and/or do something bad while i'm not supervising her.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My one dog has a huge issue with the crate as well. Whether it be a metal bar crate or a Vari-Kennel, he claws and bloodies his paws and gums on it. When he first started this behavior, there really was not a direct trigger, which scared me, but it came down to "anxiety issues" as the vet puts it. Needless to say, he can not stay in a crate. The very first time he had one of episodes, he had managed to get his head stuck in the bottom of the metal wire cage, he bent the whole darn thing with his mouth. Strong dog he is, he has some issues. So, now he just resides in a room of the house when I am not home. I really can't offer advice to totally stop the behavior, but what I can suggest is to leave the crate door open at night (IF you think you could possibly trust your pup to not get into mischief). If the issue becomes extremely major, maybe discuss with your veterinarian. The best to you though, and your pup.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts