Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had dogs my whole life since I was 5. But we recently got this puppy (about 8weeks or so when we got her) from someone else. I could tell right away that she apparently teased way too much or something because she is way out of control. I've had puppies before and they never tried to bite you or run around and try to tackle you and stuff. She is now I'm guessing about 24 weeks old (6months) because we got her around Halloween.

I'll admit I've never had a dog out of control like this so at first I had a newspaper rolled up and would tell her no and hit her (not hard) but to let her know her behavior is not acceptable. She thinks I am playing all the time, I gave up, since she is an outside dog (is plenty warm now) I let her go out there and play, but she still does this.

Now I read the following site
http://www.perfectpaws.com/bite.html

About if you dont get the dog to stop biting by 4months its too late. I dont know how to get this dog to socialize with other dogs, cuz we only have this 1. It makes sense because the other puppies we had (they were born in our house) were raised with their mother and around each other, so they learned to behave). This dog I take it must of been taken away very early then, I feel bad for her, but I dont know what to do. I guess its too late, but I am losing my patience with her and to be honest that is why its been so many months since I've tried to correct her, I just gave up on her for awhile there, I gave her food and so on and just let her be. I've never seen a dog like this before, I'm not sure whats next, put her to sleep? I hate to do that, but she cant get full grown and be like this or she will hurt someone.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
It's not too late for socialization or bite control but, you will need qualified help to undo the damage. If you're not in a position financially to help her I suggest contacting a rescue group for rehoming her.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I'm assuming the dog is aggressive when it bites? or play biting? My Berner still play bites and she was with her sister til she was 12 weeks old and has also been around other dogs

·
Registered
92 Posts
Yesterday I read an article called "How to Nip Nipping: The Gentle Way" in the March/April issue of Just Labs magazine. The techniques weren't lab specific. Like the article you linked to, it states that puppies learn to inhibit biting from their litter mates and mother. However, the article states that you can train a puppy to inhibit biting by imitating the way puppies teach each other. I tried to suggestions with my 8 week old puppy and was amazed that he almost immediately became more gentle with his mouthing. There was a 7 step approach. 1. If he bites you, yelp just like a puppy. He'll probably back off. Pet him for stopping. If he does it again, repeat yelping, petting. If he does it a thrid time, yelp then turn away for 15 seconds. If he comes around before 15 seconds are up and licks you, he is apologizing. Accept his apology and pet him. If he does it a 4th time, do the same but wait 2 minutes. If there is a fifth nip, yelp and get up and leave him alone. Repeat the entire sequence each play time. The article was really good. It had other information for settling down a rowdy puppy. I think you still have time.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
I think Exercise and lots of it would solve a lot of your problems with him being hyperactive. How often do you walk him and for how long?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
She is play biting, she doesnt bite all the way, but when I try to pet her, too often she wants to try to bite. When she is eating food or when she just wakes up she is ok.

Thanks Patty, I'll have to try that. I would of never thought of that. I did try to nibble on her ear once (not hard), hoping she would learn its not nice to bite.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
=iced0g;497471] I could tell right away that she apparently teased way too much or something because she is way out of control. I've had puppies before and they never tried to bite you or run around and try to tackle you and stuff.
I currently have a puppy who had never been teased, but would leap and jump, and nip me (not hard), in extreme joyfulness at my homecoming, immediately when released from the crate. She learned very quickly that this behavior did not please me, and resulted in losing her greatest resource - me. I turned my back and ignored her, then removed myself so she had no access to me. I would then return to the room and try again, using body language to get her to back off, and calm down. Once she calmed down, she got the attention/affection she was seeking. She is still very exhuberantly joyful, still occasionally leaps and jumps with joy, but not ON me. This is acceptable to me. In the meantime, we're working on self-control exercises. She IS a puppy, after all, full of pent-up energy, and still learning.

I'll admit I've never had a dog out of control like this so at first I had a newspaper rolled up and would tell her no and hit her (not hard) but to let her know her behavior is not acceptable. She thinks I am playing all the time, I gave up, since she is an outside dog (is plenty warm now) I let her go out there and play, but she still does this.
Hitting and saying NO don't work, as you've discovered. Work on self control.

Now I read the following site
http://www.perfectpaws.com/bite.html

About if you dont get the dog to stop biting by 4months its too late.
That's absurd.

I dont know how to get this dog to socialize with other dogs, cuz we only have this 1.
You seek out other dogs, preferrably known, and safe dogs. Socialization is not only about other dogs.

I guess its too late, but I am losing my patience with her and to be honest that is why its been so many months since I've tried to correct her, I just gave up on her for awhile there, I gave her food and so on and just let her be.
You have failed to provide training that she can understand. Get professional help.

I've never seen a dog like this before, I'm not sure whats next, put her to sleep? I hate to do that, but she cant get full grown and be like this or she will hurt someone.
You CAN'T be serious. Rehome this dog to someone who cares enough to spend time training her.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
I currently have a puppy who had never been teased, but would leap and jump, and nip me (not hard), in extreme joyfulness at my homecoming, immediately when released from the crate. She learned very quickly that this behavior did not please me, and resulted in losing her greatest resource - me. I turned my back and ignored her, then removed myself so she had no access to me. I would then return to the room and try again, using body language to get her to back off, and calm down. Once she calmed down, she got the attention/affection she was seeking. She is still very exhuberantly joyful, still occasionally leaps and jumps with joy, but not ON me. This is acceptable to me. In the meantime, we're working on self-control exercises. She IS a puppy, after all, full of pent-up energy, and still learning.

Hitting and saying NO don't work, as you've discovered. Work on self control.

That's absurd.

You seek out other dogs, preferrably known, and safe dogs. Socialization is not only about other dogs.

You have failed to provide training that she can understand. Get professional help.

You CAN'T be serious. Rehome this dog to someone who cares enough to spend time training her.
I too agree, that is one of the stupidest, idiotic statements I have heard. 50% of the young dogs dropped off for training 4.5 months to 8-9(pick a month)old have some play biting problems that pretty much eliminated in one or two 10 minute workouts. They bite the leash, they bite the hands, bite the pants etc etc etc. That's why they come to a trainer in the first place.

About if you dont get the dog to stop biting by 4months its too late.

Let's look at this for a while.

What does the (since she is an outside dog) statement mean? Is she out 24 hrs or does she have house time to be with family. If outside 24 hrs and in the 24 hr period you spend 2 whole hours with her, think about it that's 22 hours alone to vegetate. Try that lifestyle yourself 2 hours a day with 1 person and 22 hours by yourself. A proper test would be 2 or 3 months of 22 hrs a day vegetating. Just throwing some thoughts at you.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
I go back to my question since it hasn't been addressed and everyone is happily flaming the OP rather than helping it seems. How often do you walk this dog and for how long? A lack of exercise (especially in a puppy) = lots of extra energy which would result in a lot of the behaviors you're describing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was walking her about once a week, but then stopped because the weather was bad every weekend then the dog's next door (they have 4!) I think gave her ticks :mad: either that or they came from my other neighbors yard where they have 2 dogs.

I've sprayed the yard, but I think they might still be around. I try to check her but its hard because she wont stay still and tries to nip all the time. I didn't want to take her through the house or in the car until she is free from them for awhile.

She has a big yard to run around in and tear up sticks, wood and other stuff (which she does and doesnt bother me as its just junk anyway), but I'll have to give her another tick bath and spray the yard again so I can make sure they are gone for good.

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
I don't know how old you are.. I am going to guess you are pretty young but you can thump me if I am wrong.

You can get products for ticks that will kill them on the dog. I use Vectra 3D which repels and kills the ticks but I must be careful as it is poisonous to cats and requires a vet prescription. You can also get Frontline Plus for ticks from an online site such as Petmeds or Petsupplies delivered. You need to know your dog's weight. You apply it to the skin between the shoulder blades. In 24 hours, any ticks OR fleas are dead. You re-apply this every 30 days and use it the same time you give your dog heartworm medication (that you get from the Vet).

If your dog is not vaccinated, that needs to be done and if she is not spayed, then that needs looking at as well. :)

Moving on the biting etc. You need to spend time with your dog training her. You can start with the Stickie at the top of this forum in Nothing in Life Is Free (NILIF). That means the dog gets none of what she wants w/o doing something you want first.

I would get something for her to bite.. a toy that you can tie to a rope.. and direct her biting to the toy. Play tug of war with that toy with the rope allowing you to keep a bit of distance between you and the dog. You can also drag the toy on the ground and let her chase and bite that. If she bite you, yell loudly OOWWWWW and stop interacting with the dog in any manner.

Can you get to a beginner dog training class? You will learn a lot and you and your dog will be given home work. It is a great thing to do.

There is a book by Pamela Dennison "The Complete Idiots Guide to Positive dog Training" that you might find real helpful to help you train your dog.

It does not sound like your dog is biting you to be mean.. she is biting to play. I think if you think about that.. it would be pretty awful to put a dog to sleep for playing. If she is playing too rough, then you need to redirect her to a toy and show her you are not a toy (through that redirecting process, not by hitting etc.).

PS: You need to walk your dog every day. My dog is walked a mile before I go to work in the morning and another 2-3 miles at night when I get home from work. Walking your dog is a great way to train her and it is really healthy for you too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
She has all her shots and is spayed, because I dont want any more puppies :p

I know if the flea collar and a few baths and spraying the yard a few times will work. My old dog (now deceased) got loose once and when he was in the pound for 1 day and got ticks like mad. :mad: But I did that and he was okay. Thing is, they must of come from the neighbors yard this time :/

I'll see if they have any dog training classes around. Thanks

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
i say find the dog a new home. where it will be trained, and excersised. seems like neither is getting done with the dog. dont tell me its to cold to excersise, as I excersise mine no matter how cold it is (and it gets cold here around -25). Just letting her be is causing MORE problems. Find her a new home.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
I was walking her about once a week, but then stopped because the weather was bad every weekend then the dog's next door (they have 4!) I think gave her ticks :mad: either that or they came from my other neighbors yard where they have 2 dogs.

I've sprayed the yard, but I think they might still be around. I try to check her but its hard because she wont stay still and tries to nip all the time. I didn't want to take her through the house or in the car until she is free from them for awhile.

She has a big yard to run around in and tear up sticks, wood and other stuff (which she does and doesnt bother me as its just junk anyway), but I'll have to give her another tick bath and spray the yard again so I can make sure they are gone for good.
Walking the dog once a week is not enough. Dogs really need walks at least once a day for 30 minutes minimum. Puppies need more IMO. Dogs given a big yard won't necessarily run in the yard. They're more likely to lounge in it and sleep.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Yesterday I read an article called "How to Nip Nipping: The Gentle Way" in the March/April issue of Just Labs magazine. The techniques weren't lab specific. Like the article you linked to, it states that puppies learn to inhibit biting from their litter mates and mother. However, the article states that you can train a puppy to inhibit biting by imitating the way puppies teach each other. I tried to suggestions with my 8 week old puppy and was amazed that he almost immediately became more gentle with his mouthing. There was a 7 step approach. 1. If he bites you, yelp just like a puppy. He'll probably back off. Pet him for stopping. If he does it again, repeat yelping, petting. If he does it a thrid time, yelp then turn away for 15 seconds. If he comes around before 15 seconds are up and licks you, he is apologizing. Accept his apology and pet him. If he does it a 4th time, do the same but wait 2 minutes. If there is a fifth nip, yelp and get up and leave him alone. Repeat the entire sequence each play time. The article was really good. It had other information for settling down a rowdy puppy. I think you still have time.
Patty, do you still have a copy of this article or know if I can find it online? I went to their website and couldn't find it. I am having this exact problem with my puppy and it's causing me alot of distress because I don't know how to correct it. I'd appreciate it if you have it.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
I clicked through the link re: the 4 months -this is what it actually says:

The optimum time to socialize is before the dog reaches 4 months. With large breed dogs, 4 months may be too late, simply because at this age the puppy may already be too large for most mothers of young children to feel comfortable around.
The article is most definitely not saying it's too late to train after 4 months. It is saying (correctly) that at 4 months, a large breed pup may be too large to safely teach bite inhibition with a child through trial and error. That doesn't mean it's not trainable - it just means you can't use the 'Yelp' method with an 70 lb. dog on a 60 lb. child.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
I agree, cold is not an excuse. I've walked dogs in -50F with a windchill of -20F. With dogs who need exercise, you just gotta get out and do it if they want too.

Obviously if the dog can't tolerate extreme cold don't do it. But most dogs can tolerate some cold.

·
Banned
749 Posts
Basically what you are saying is that you have a dog in the back yard that all you do is feed and give water to and you expect it not to bite? Cold weather doesn't seem to bother the dog so it should not bother you. If it is to cold for you to exercise the dog then put more clothes on. What if you had a job that was outside would you not go to work in the winter?. You would dress for the weather.

I take Lola to the dog park even in the winter. There was one time I was only there for 5 minutes because it was really cold and had a 40mph gusty wind blowing but that does not mean I did not take her for a walk that day. On days that she goes to the dog park she still gets walked at least 30 minutes a day. I might break it up to two 15 minute walks but it is still 30 minutes.

Why bother having a dog at all if all you are going to do is have it outside and not interact with the dog.

Now to address one post above. How do you get a -50F temperature with a -20F windchill?. I am not a meteorologist but something is wrong with that analogy. Perhaps a warm front was coming through? :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts