Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Jill - Blue Heeler
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 3-year-old female blue heeler. She is 3-weeks new to me, and I was told she is house-trained, but it doesn't appear she is. I take her for long extended walks outside on large property I own but she rarely will go urinate or defecate outdoors, but instead ends up holding her urine and feces and going inside our home or in her crate. She is always ashamed in her behavior afterwards though I have never responded with a raised voice or raised my hand to her. She loves to play outside, run, and is very obedient otherwise.

Does anyone have any suggestions on just beginning steps to get her to go outside? I would try and utilize treats or a play toy but she has only went outside a couple of times. She is recently spayed and it would appear that has also caused a setback on her potty training as well.

·
Registered
Cat-dog, GSD spayed female and Tornado-dog, JRT mix, neutered male
1,279 Posts
You need to go back to the beginning. Take her out every hour, after she eats/drinks, right after a play session, and as soon as she wakes up (both in the morning and when she wakes up from naps during the day). When she goes outside, praise her profusely. Go overboard on the praise.

When you take her out for potty breaks, make it boring. Just stand in one place until she goes. Once she potties, you can let her explore/play, but not until she has pottied.

She is not ashamed - she is fearful of your response. Likely, she was reprimanded for mistakes in her past.

·
Super Moderator
3,781 Posts
It may also be that she was trained to go in one specific spot (or had a natural preference for one specific spot), and because she no longer has access to it, she's holding everything until she can't anymore. She may also have learned that pottying in front of people gets her scolded/punished, so she's not comfortable going on leash. Try not to get upset or angry at her, as this will add more stress to the act of pottying in front of you. It's also worth noting that even "house trained" dogs don't always understand that the potty rules in one house apply to all houses, and need some time and refresher training to get it in a new environment. Hopefully things will get easier as she settles in and learns that you're safe and fair.

Aside from what ToedToes said, another option you can try is to take her out on a long line, and see if she's more comfortable pottying a little distance away from you, or even out of your line of sight behind a bush/tree/etc. This can make it a little trickier to immediately reward her for going in the right place, but it's still a good first step.

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
In addition to all that I would take the poop she did inside and put it outside in a specific place in the yard where you would like her to go. I would also do the same with pee.

Females are often quite particular about "where they go." I have spent a lot more time out in "weather" waiting for females to pee/poop than males.

·
Banned
6 Posts
Dogs have the same basic necessities as any other living being, and just because they are being stubborn, doesn't mean the behavior is permanent. If a dog refuses to go pee outside, make sure they have no other option (ie: leave them outside in a controlled space until they get over their fear). Eventually they will have to pee or poop, there is no avoiding it. The more they do this outside, the more normal it becomes for them no matter what previous traumas they've had. Once they've displayed to you that yes, they can go pee or poop outside, bring them back in the house and start to take them out every 1-2 hours to use the bathroom. If they refuse to use the bathroom, leave them outside. Repeat. Eventually the dog will understand that if they don't go to the bathroom outside, they get left outside, and since dogs are social creatures that crave companionship, they aren't going to want to continue staying outside. Eventually they will change their own behavior.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts