Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys/gals.

When my dog is at home and I let him out I don't hear a peep, and when I let him in or come home he just wags his tail, checks his food dish, and is a happy dog and comes right to me.

Now when I take him to my parents he is almost going through the glass door trying to get inside and super-excited when I open the door and let him in and he always slips and slides on the tile floor, gives everyone a quick sniff but he backs away from being touched (only after he initially gets in) and needs to examine the whole main floor before calming down and visiting everyone.

When we make him go outside (yes we have to MAKE him, at home he just goes when I open the door) he just yelps and barks almost non-stop and stares at all of us, when we let him inside again he gets semi-excited, but then calms down and is a good dog again.

It's that initial 5 minutes of craziness + barking/yelping that makes me almost not want to bring him out anymore!

3.5 year old Golden Retriever, neutered that I got from the pound 1.5 years ago, he heels/sits/stays no prob and I live alone if that helps.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Very normal behavior. Parents house is 'new', exciting....wants to check out everyone and being 'banished' away from the action isn't very desirable for him.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
This is normal for a dog that's in a new environment. If you want your dog to be biddable in settings besides your home, you need to train him in settings besides your home. Work with different locations, with different levels of distraction.

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
Yup. Dogs do not generalize behavior from one place to the next. You have to take them different places so they understand command mean the same thing no matter where you are.

So, take the dog with you lots of places and retrain the things you want him to do in those places too.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Have you tried going outside with him when you're at your parent's place? That might help until he gets used to going our on his own there. It almost sounds like he's scared of being outside alone there.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When it's warm out he is always outside with us on the patio, but when we go inside to eat and leave him outside the yelping starts... guess he is just a "work in progress".

Thanx for the replies!

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
When it's warm out he is always outside with us on the patio, but when we go inside to eat and leave him outside the yelping starts... guess he is just a "work in progress".

Thanx for the replies!
Well, yes, but, he probably wants to be with you, not left outside alone. Can't say as I blame him, and how's he going to let you know except by barking.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts