Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have this puppy hound mix.... love her a lot. But she is SO INSANE when it comes to food, that I can't get her to focus by using food.... the vet said she was likely the runt, and now that she gets more food, she might be hard to train since she is almost bouncing when she sees food.

Never had a dog this food obsessed before..... best way to calm her down?

What I have been doing is putting the bowl on the ground and standing between her and the food until she is calm..... but really, she never gets calm. This is how I trained all of my previous dogs...... thoughts?

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Bucky is crazy around food too. If one of us gets a snack he jumps, vibrates, spins and generally acts crazy. I've had food crazy dogs before so have been working with this for years. You wouldn't think he was nuts as he can stay out of the kitchen when food is prepared, he can look at me rather than food in my hand when training, he just was laying calmly on my lap as I ate dinner in front of the TV and he is calm right now although there's a Dirty Plate right next to his head, he can leave dropped food when cued to leave it and plenty of other things normal dogs do but ultimately he is still nuts. I don't know why he isn't in the kitchen licking the floor right now, he usually does that for ages after meals were cooked.

The problem working with dogs like this isn't so much the intensity of the food drive, it is reacting calmly and appropriately while working with them.

I'd go further. Stand and wait until she sits then slowly put the dish down. When she starts up stand up and wait again. I suggest doing squats or lunges rather than bending from the waist, may be a long haul. You could praise and reward intermediate steps so she doesn't get super frustrated as well.

Look into Karen Overall's Relaxation Protocol. Bucky isn't actually chill but he can act calmer after going through the program.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts