Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any dog insurance places that they use? I am actually considering on applying for one. I'm not too sure how their policies work..or well I don't know how insurance policies work period but I know that in the long run, it'll be worth-it

Any inputs?

·
Registered
5 Posts
The review site petinsurancereview.com has consumer reviews of many different pet insurance companies, good and bad. I like that there's input from actual customers, not just some reviewer with affiliate links.

Personally, I've had average to mediocre experience with Petplan, and good experience with HealthyPaws.

·
Registered
73 Posts
The review site petinsurancereview.com has consumer reviews of many different pet insurance companies, good and bad. I like that there's input from actual customers, not just some reviewer with affiliate links.

Personally, I've had average to mediocre experience with Petplan, and good experience with HealthyPaws.
We use Healthy Paws here too. They seems great, but haven't had to file a claim here yet (thankfully).

·
Registered
130 Posts
I think it depends where in the world you are and what vets costs are like.
Im in The Netherlands and here Im sorry but its just not worth it. Most insurences have a minumum they expect you to pay the first 10 or 20% of any bill..Many wont pay routine stuff or pre-exisiting or genetic conditions ie anything they can say is a birth or breed defect, and many suddenly decide as your dogs gets older that the preminum gets sky high or they cut you off. For Murphy they would have charged 15€ a month hes 3,1/2 now he allergy meds would not have been paid for but they are only about 10 euro a month during the summer.
His de-sexing would not have been paid for that was €200 and recently his testing for sickness and the xray to exclude a forgien body + antibiotics and anti vominiting meds might have been paid for but that was also €200 minus my 10% own costs they might have paid €190 but in the meantime Id have paid them €630.

Instead I have a savings account for the dog and put a little bit of money in it each month. I pay regualr costs such as vaccinations out of my normal household money so the fund is there in case of emergancies and I also know my vet is happy to set up a payment plan should I need help paying a large bill..

Before taking out any insurence read the small print work out what they will and wont pay for .. You can find yourself paying out twice.

My brother had insurence, but his partner walked the dog, had the dog off lead, the dog ran off and was hit by a car the bill was over £2000 (15 years ago) and the ins company said because she had no control over the dog they classed it as neglegent behaviour and only paid part of the bill... Be warned

1 - 5 of 5 Posts