Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im pretty handy and I'd like to build an original (non classical) dog for my dog. He is an indoordog but i think he could use his own house in the back yard.
Ive seen a lot of cool designds online but i dont want function to be sacrificed for form. I could use some help coming up with design features to ensure this is something he will actuall want to use.

How should I size the house?
How can I make it cool in the summer and warm in the winter?
What makes a dog house awesome for a dog?

·
Registered
591 Posts
insulate with blueboard ( hard foam ) type insulation and put a light bulb in it in the winter, the insulation will keep it cooler in summer and warmer in winter and a simple light can warm it up alot !

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
When I had my Rough Collie she came with a doghouse that we occasionally used when we went away. The best thing about it was the roof. It was a flat slanted roof ... higher in the front and ran lower long ways down the back. It let the elements run off.

She loved to stand on top to be groomed. It served two purposes ... maybe three ... we brushed her teeth outside there too! Lol!

It was a wooden house with a shingled roof just like a house. :) Also it was just large enough to stand up in and turn around and lay down in.

If I made one myself it would be the same but with a modern doggie door.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts