Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious what sort of home does your dog live In?
Does this size work for your dog? How many dogs fit in your home?
I think there might be something of value in what breeds do well in different home environments but mostly I think this will be fun :)

Indy is a 45lb Heinz 57 (possibly American bully/fox terrier/hound?) with plenty of energy.
I've got a ~1200ft^2 1950s cape with maybe a 2000ft^2 fenced back yard. I think we've got plenty of space. He's an inside dog with Just Enough room out back for some good fetch and zoomy sprints. A smaller yard might be an issue for an active dog like Indy. Bonus, miles of safe sidewalks and a few people parks are accessible for walks!

Catalog page for my house (original owners opted no fireplace :p)

·
Registered
392 Posts
Quill is a 2 y/o 60 lb Wyoming Mountain Dog (a GSD x Malamute x Elkhound mixture). He lives in a ~1,100 sq ft 2 bedroom house, single level. His backyard is probably about 700 sq ft. I'd like a bigger yard for him, but we had a heck of a time finding a dog friendly house with a fenced yard at all when we were searching for a rental, so we took what we could get!

Luckily, Quill is exceptionally mellow in the house. He's excitable when people come over, (aren't most dogs?) but if we're all just hanging out, he does very well just chilling. Of course, he loves his walks and we have a great park that is a great set up to work on his reactivity and another nearby, wonderful place for off leash walks. We also have softball diamonds nearby that don't have a rule against dogs, so we go there for frisbee (and our extremely respectful in cleaning up and only using them when none are occupied to make sure any ball players get first dibs!).

We were going to get a second dog in this house (my BF wants a hunting pup), but that fell through for now. I think it would be fine all in all because we are okay with going to the park daily for exercise, but again...for two dogs, a bigger backyard would be wonderful!

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have seven huskies 3 males and 4 females. They weight is around 35-60 lbs. They live in a three story house with 40 Acres as their playground. They are very high energy and get worked every day. A good husky is a tired husky. :):) They sleep in my room on the floor with two cats. Working schedule:
5:30am outside bathroom break and play time for an hour. Location: Backyard
6:30am Breakfast Taste Of The Wild ( best dog food brand for Huskies)
7:00am drink break and training (physical training)
9:00am bike ride( they go on the tow line and pull)
10:00am rest break
12:00pm lunch Taste of the Wild with raw meat added
1:00pm drink basic obedience and lunge line to teach mush commands for the puppies. The older huskies are pulling tires or logs. They get switched as a switch puppies.
2:00pm to the basement to rest with ice water pool to cool off and rest.
4:00pm Go to 40 acre field to hunt and run stay tell 6pm. The land is across from my house.
6:00pm Dinner Salad in bowl it's all raw products
7:30pm show( mental) obedience and drink break
8:30pm Time for huskies to go to bed and last bathroom break. :):):):)

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
We have a late 30'/early 40's bungalow (1,000 or so SF) on a tenth of an acre. "We" includes four humans, four cats, two dogs (a 62 pound GSD and 38 pound APBT), and a bird. I'm hoping to get another dog after the holidays.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
My house is 1100 square feet on a 7000 square foot lot, basically shaped like a double wide house trailer with a central hall extending most of its length. So there is a nice 30' fetch area then two bedrooms have facing doors so another 20' fetch area. Worked fine even for the 33 and 44 pound dogs. Tiled floors next to the patio door for good sunbathing. I appreciate that the front room is a bedroom so easily closed off when dogs feel the need to tell us about things passing by the front of the house. They appreciate the open kitchen with rugs to wait for treats during dinner theater.

Back yard has a sunny patio, perfect for sunbathing, these golden dogs need to work on their tans after all. It's small with a fringe of shrubs that's fun to run behind and trees that squirrels and such feel safe to taunt the dogs from. A 15x40' lawn is adequate for some agility equipment and fetch. The apple tree and bamboo provide forage in season much as we hate that.

·
Registered
17,915 Posts
I have 5 dogs, a 1900 square foot house, and while I have a couple of acres they're mostly heavily wooded and on the side of a mountain. Open and flat space is... I don't know, much, much less. Back yard is flat and fenced and if I recall 50 feet on a side, square. Open side yard that I use for training is... more narrow and longer. 40X100? IDK, I've never measured it.

Frankly speaking my dogs could happily live in one room with a tiny bit of fenced yard for potty. They'd miss the fetch games and I'd regret the loss of training space, but 90% of my highly active dog's exercise and activity happens SOMEWHERE ELSE and all 5 are always in whatever room I'm in, anyway.

I wouldn't want to live without the option of letting them potty without me having to leash up, but otherwise? Meh.

·
Registered
8,384 Posts
I've had 9 to 18 GSDs loose in my 1900 sqft home. the center is an open lay out of 3 major rooms with larger no door openings to pass through. GSD's didn't have space issues with each other. so all being kramed in one room or the regular door ways to pass through never bothered them. The CO's the same space doesn't work well for them ... they have more personal preference restrictions and rule demands of each other when it comes to space. Do feel some individuals require different lay outs.

new project next year is my shipping container(s) so I can have a place that is wide open for everyone to be in at one time and have what they need to enjoy being all together.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
1600 sq ft "cabin". The ground floor is the garage and a storage room. The living space starts on the second floor and the master bedroom is on the 3rd floor. I have 2 acres of land, but the HOA's don't allow a fenced yard. You can have a dog run, but 3-6 months of the year we have enough snow to cover any fence, so I never bothered to put one in. I currently have one 73 pound dog and previously had 2 similarly sized dogs, as well as 2 indoor cats.

The current dog is a puppy and very high energy. Most of the time, the house works, but if we have a few days of bad weather that keeps us inside, it gets very small. My previous dogs were very low key. They would have been fine in much less space.

On the upside, my property backs to Forest Service land so I have MILES of trails that we can walk, run, bike or snowshoe right out my back door.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Sadie is something like a lab mixed with a mutt. She's slightly taller than your average lab, but a lot leaner. We're in something like a 1400 sq foot house with roughly 3500 sq feet of land surrounding it, all enclosed by a big roller gate and high walls. There are coconut trees, mango, banana, etc. growing on the garden. The trees are positioned far apart from each other so that there is a fair amount of space to run about if she wants to. We live on the ground floor and another family live upstairs and do not own a dog.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I just bought my first house this summer so I'm still planning how to do all my fencing and pet areas. I have so many great plans in my head but in reality it will be awhile until it's set up how I want it. It is an old (1890's) 2 story plus unfinished basement farmhouse (2200 sq ft) on about 9 acres. Acreage is mostly horse pasture with small areas of woods, a creak runs through the center and I have 3 small ponds (well one is more like a swamp). Surrounded by crop fields that I can walk the dogs across and to some dirt bike trails in the off season. I have 2 young highly active Australian shepherds and 2 indoor cats. One cat is a 6 month old kitten and is the biggest issue with making the house feel cramped right now as the youngest dog and her want to constantly wrestle and run around flying off furniture and knocking pictures over lol. I have converted a spare bedroom into my training room where I can set up a mini tunnel, one jump, and contact board for indoor days. I also have an enclosed porch that is great for putting a dog or cat when I need to. Eventually I will have a fenced in yard but since the house is at the back of the property I'm far from the road so they can be outside when supervised for now and the ponds have been great for letting them swim this summer!

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
My two 28 lb fluffers live in 1800 sq ft of bungalow. That doesn't include the finished basement, which is finished but not really livable, due to it being mostly used as storage by the previous residents (my in-laws).

·
Registered
526 Posts
We have a 1400 sq foot home with a fenced in backyard. The backyard is about 100x50, but part of it is taken up with a patio and the back with a shed and some bushes. There's probably 75x50 that's nice and flat and then the rest of the yard that has a bit of a hill and stuff on it.

We have two dogs, both about 45 pounds. One is older and mellow. For most of her life we lived in a duplex with no yard and she was perfectly fine with that. The other is young and kind of nuts (Border Collie/Springer Spaniel mix). We got him after moving into our house because we KNEW he'd need a backyard. And he LOVES it. He'll spend hours out there sitting and watching. We're contemplating a dog house so when it's raining he can still go hang out in the backyard without getting soaked because right now he begs to go out and then huddles in the doorway to do his watching.

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
We live in a 1200ft ranch with Ginger (28lb brittany), Boone (32lb pbgv) and O’Malley (28lb LHW).
Our yard is 60x100, approximately, enough room for O’M & Ginger to run.

·
Registered
11,300 Posts
Layout of house and yard is way more important than size IMO

I have a 900 sf house, 0.20 acre lot total. Two big dogs, sometimes a foster of varying size/age.

But, I have a fully fenced yard with two sections of around 40x30 and 40x100 feet for flexible potty breaks or playtime or separating dogs.

My house is small but laid out so that I can use baby gates to give space to dogs without blocking off the HVAC systems and with all solid surface flooring for easy cleaning

With two dogs, i could go smaller but when I do have a foster, it means tight spaces. 1 room is always kept away from the dogs so guests have a space. I guess that makes dog accessible areas about 750 sf.

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
I live in a tasteless and cheaply manufactured rental home with a horrible floor plan. It's maybe 800sqft and 2BR. Ugly carpet and tacky linoleum. Given that one room is the bedroom and the other is a music room (and they're both small), and no training/dogs are allowed in those rooms, or the kitchen, or the bathroom.... The dogs have very little space, around 300sqft. They're both around 65# too. We have a fenced yard that's tiny enough for potty breaks. If I had to guess I'd say it's 20x10'. We are 'surrounded' by neighbors, their chain link fence, and their reactive dogs. There's an un-fenced strip of grass in the front. The neighborhood isn't what I would call dangerous, but definitely unsavory at night. I am very aware of amount of daylight and am glad I have two big (intimidating-looking) dogs.

Here's a pic of pretty much the amount of space the dogs have.

The saving graces/silver linings to my space, other than the fact that I can actually afford to live here, are:
-big sturdy maple out front, great for hanging a toy on a spring pole
-stand-alone house (ie, having a yard at all and not being an apartment). for the price, pet policy, and location, it can't be beat.
-because it's small, the dogs are pretty much 'with' me no matter what I'm doing.
-it forces me to get out, take my dogs different places, and train hard so that they don't go crazy. The local school yard and city park are favorites.
-with such tight quarters, it forced me to manage heavily and set great habits raising a puppy

Honestly, if I were to upgrade, like move somewhere better or pay more or buy a house (hahahahaaa), I care more about improvements for myself, like a good kitchen, rather than increasing space for my dogs. Of course they would enjoy more space. But they're fine. More than fine.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I am in 2500sq ft raised ranch; upper level is 1900sq ft and lower lever is 600 sq ft. I have a small dog; 18lbs and she is fine with the area; she does not go downstairs as it is blocked off with a dog gate. The back yard is 5 acres with the area around the back of the house fenced for her; about 1/2 an acre total. I did have four schnauzers prior to my current dog and all four of them did fine in the space; bed was a little crowed at night!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts