Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
How much water is he drinking? A rough estimate is an ounce of water per pound of dog so I reckon my 13 pound dogs need a bit over 1.5 cups of water daily. It's not a good thing to keep stale urine in the bladder as the minerals in the urine can crystallize out. Bladder stones and crystals are expensive for the owner and extremely painful for the dog! I live in a house with a yard and want my dogs to potty at least morning noon and night but some people feel that twice a day is fine.

It sounds like he prefers to go outside and only uses his potty pads in desperation? Have you tried playing with him in the house then leading him to his pad and giving his potty cue? Bucky always has to go outside to potty after a few minutes of playing fetch down the hall for instance.

If he doesn't have a potty cue then start praising him when he potties using your chosen word. I thought the word was 'go potty' but my first pair of dogs would glare at me and only went when I told them to 'go sniff'. No idea how that happened!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts