Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all, I have a Corgi that's around 1 Year and 3 months named Thor, and I'm a little worried because he tends to hold his pee purposely for quite some time [Up to a whole day, and at some times until the next night.] Take note that this isn't the case of locking him up for the whole day so he can't pee.

Basically I live in a country where the only two 'seasons' we have are summer all year long and monsoon season, where it rains nearly every day. We're currently dealing with rain at this time of the year, and as such, I am unable to walk Thor during certain days (But I do stimulate him with exercise at home, such as playing fetch.) I live in a flat and as such I do not have a yard for him to go outside and potty, as other owners do. Due to this, I have trained him to potty on pee pads since he was a puppy, and so far he does not have a problem with it.

The problem lies here - for example, it's Sunday, and the rain has decided to stop for today. So I walk Thor in the evening. For the next few days after that, it rains heavily, so I'm unable to walk him. He then decides to hold his pee from Monday morning all the way until Tuesday morning, or sometimes from Monday morning until Tuesday night. Is it because of the frequent change in schedule? Or is this a normal thing?

If I don't walk him for over 4 days, he does potty on the pee pad normally, though of course the first pee after holding it tends to take really long. Take note that during the days where I don't walk him that he's always wandering in the home and has open access to his pee pad - I only crate him at night when he sleeps.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
How much water is he drinking? A rough estimate is an ounce of water per pound of dog so I reckon my 13 pound dogs need a bit over 1.5 cups of water daily. It's not a good thing to keep stale urine in the bladder as the minerals in the urine can crystallize out. Bladder stones and crystals are expensive for the owner and extremely painful for the dog! I live in a house with a yard and want my dogs to potty at least morning noon and night but some people feel that twice a day is fine.

It sounds like he prefers to go outside and only uses his potty pads in desperation? Have you tried playing with him in the house then leading him to his pad and giving his potty cue? Bucky always has to go outside to potty after a few minutes of playing fetch down the hall for instance.

If he doesn't have a potty cue then start praising him when he potties using your chosen word. I thought the word was 'go potty' but my first pair of dogs would glare at me and only went when I told them to 'go sniff'. No idea how that happened!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't really check whenever he drinks water, though I definitely know he drinks quite a bit in the morning when he wakes up. His water bowl is usually empty(Or close to) by 9pm, and then he drinks a bit more somewhere at 12am.

I've definitely played with him before bringing him to his pad - just did this morning! Every morning when he is let out of his crate, I throw a toy back and forth in the hallway and tire him out. He goes to drink water, and I call him over to the pad. He has a potty cue in which i tell him to 'go pee', but whenever I do it he stares at me for a bit before walking away from the pee pad like he's not interested. He definitely knows the command - I've taught him that since he was a puppy, it was the first few commands he had learned - though he has been a little stubborn in that aspect. I remember when he was a puppy that a few times he wouldn't potty on the pee pad when I said the command, and I had to prevent him from leaving for a bit, then he'd seem to change his mind and go potty. Though after that age period he would go normally.

That word change is definitely curious! Though nothing changed when I tried other commands, haha.

·
Registered
11,294 Posts
Large "golf" type umbrella and a rain coat for the dog might do the trick for short walks during even heavy rain. Lots of dogs hate the feeling of rain falling on their skin, ears and eyes. A dog specific raincoat might be expensive or hard to find, but if there is a sewing or tailor shop around then you could probably have a simple one made up from outdoor type fabric (the kind of fabric used for patio furniture for example) or a vinyl with just some buckle straps under the belly and front of chest.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts