Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dog hates kids.. I mean, he also dislikes adults whom he doesn't know, but he doesn't go completely insane if there's an adult talking on TV.

It's to the point that we cannot watch shows or movies with children in them. My partner had an animated show on the other night which was voiced by adults except they were making their voices sound younger to match the characters.. and he just started up. He barks and runs around the room frantically, stopping to growl sometimes. The TV is mounted above a table and sometimes he'll run up, jump up with his front paws on the table, and bark up at the TV.

He was great with kids until he turned about ~4.5 months and then he started becoming iffy until it progressed to what it is now. We believe our roommate's 3 year old son played a huge part in this, since he would tease him and steal his toys, among other things.. We tried to put an end to it and explained to his parent that this could really mess with our puppy's feelings towards kids.. But I guess it was too late by then. Our dog is pretty insecure and nervous, so I know his personality has played a part in this.. But I also feel like we just did a poor job of protecting him.. Hindsight, I guess.

We have mostly kept him apart from our roommate's kid for the last 4 months, though they do still see each other sometimes. My dog is completely fine with walking past him if the kid is quiet and doesn't run at him.. The other day they even came face to face on accident and nothing happened, just a little butt wiggle from dog and a "Hi doggy!" from the child. But it's when kids are very loud or moving fast my dog has a poor reaction.. Judging from his reaction to the TV, children's voices and sounds scare/freak him out. I've been wondering if this could stem from the fact that my roommate's child is very loud and has had many noisy tantrums which my dog witnessed.

Also.. Before my dog disliked ALL children, he originally only barked at my roommate's child but then one day he started having the same reaction to all kids, especially little boys. I don't know how dog psychology works so I don't know if it's coincidence or not. I'm just throwing things out there and hoping for some advice. I won't ever trust him to be free around a child, but I would like to help him to be not be so panicked just from hearing them.

TL;DR: I was wondering if there is a way we can use our dog's poor reaction to kids on TV to help him with kids in real life? Obviously we do not want to trust him with children in person.. But can we condition him using the TV? If so, how do we do that? I really hope to get some help on this.. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
I wouldn't put much stock in the tv reaction. My dog reacts badly to "alvin and the chipmunks" on tv, but it's about the weird sqeaky sound, not anything else.

Most dogs are fearful of children until they have been properly intoduced. Kids act weird and dart around a lot. It's normal for a dog to be nervous around them.

My breeder had nice kids around my pup as she grew up. Once I got her, I would take her for car rides and let her watch kids at parks (through the window) and listen to them yell and carry on. I would make these trips fun and happy. Then, I had neighbor kids throw her cheese puffs over my fence. Once that was all good, they would hand them to her through the fencing. Then, I would take her to them and they would feed her.

I also have her in a training class where the trainer actually has a person come to class with a 2 year old in a stroller. The two year old gets to play and be a kid while we work dogs in the ring. Now, my pup is totally at ease around kids. That said, I would never leave her unattended with any. Both the child and the pup need to be protected from emotionally damaging experiences.

I think that the tv is not going to be a helpful tool though.

Good luck working through this. Now is the time! Two giant rules though: Never put kids at risk and never force a dog to interact if he's nervous. Ever.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts