Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello, I just got a wonderful 8 week old purebread golden retriever puppy yesterday(Sat 8/29/09). I had him sleep with me and will when he is full grown. Today I took him out to go, after he had eaten and I saw two white worms smaller than my finger nails moving and coming out of his poop once it was in the grass. We can't get him to the vet just yet, and have to go to a different one that our others go to. But I went to Wal-mart today to buy training treats, and saw this de-wormer and bought it, its called Harts Ultra Guard Plus
Rid Worm(pyrantel panoate) for small dogs and puppies.

It says its for Large roundworms and hookworms, also says "to prevent reinfection of Toxocara canis in puppies for adult dogs and in lactating bitches after whelping.

Mine is a 8 week old 12 pound boy, is this safe to give him, and if he poops in my bed at night will I get the worms? PLEASE HELP
Sorry for it taking a few minutes to get to the point, I am just worried

Also could this harm him, if he doesn't have these worms?

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
If he poops in your bed at night I think you have bigger problems than worms, LOL.

The OTC de-wormers aren't as effective as the stuff the vet gives you. Pyrantel Pamoate is the same stuff the vet uses, but the vet stuff is a different concentration. Some vets will just sell you the de-wormer without seeing the dog. Worth asking about anyway.

Yes, de-wormer is poison (hopefully, if used correctly, it just poisons the worms and not the dog), so you want to be careful about using it. I'd ask a vet before using anything OTC. Calls for advice are usually free.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
ok, I will try to call later, he also just pooped and I didn't seen any worms this time, haven't dosed anything yet, is that normal. So if he doesnt have worms and I dose it could harm him? I know I saw some worms earlier, I will try to call a vet later to

(UPDATE)
Ok, I called the a vet that is pretty close to my house. They said it sounds like tapeworms. I got the address, and going there tomorrow, to deworm him, said it would cost around 15 bucks. I am now relieved, now if sleeps with my and poops tonight,lol, can I get worms? Last night he never peeded or pooped, this will be his 2nd night with me

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok well, I took him to the vet today, and got him de-wormed which cost 15 bucks if you are wondering and also got him a shot for distemper, hepatits(cav), parvovirus, parainfluenza, leptospirosis, and coronavirus.
She said all his worms should be gone in 2 days or so.

·
Registered
7 Posts
it is very unlikely for you to get worms from your pup... those worms die shortyly after coming out. don't eat his poop. and you'll be just fine. And I would go to my vet to get wormer its not much and more effected. GOOD LUCK

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Tapeworms are caused by a dog, or human, ingesting a flea infected with them. The flea is a necessary part of the tapeworm life-cycle, you can just ingest the worms in the stool and become infected with tapeworm. It's uncommon for humans to get tapeworms from their pets, but it is a possibility. Make sure you have your pet treated for fleas as well, so you can prevent a re-infection of tapeworms.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts